Saturday, October 11, 2008

Money, Money, Money, Money....MONEY!!!

With the financial disaster we are in the midst of, I find myself evaluating and re-evaluating my financial plans and goals.  I love that song by Pink Floyd, "Money", but not for the lyrics.  The lyrics are about greed and how we misuse and mismanage money.  I recently read an insightful article on money from street.com titled "10 Reasons Why You Are Not Rich".  I thought I would share a bit of this article with you.  I put it in green for the color of money!

"Many people assume they are not rich because they do not earn enough money.  'If I only earned a little more, I could save and invest better' they say.  The problem with that theory is they were probably making that same exact argument before their last several pay raises!  Becoming a millionaire has less to do with how much you make than you may believe.  It's how you treat money in your daily life."

Here are a few of the reasons why Street.com supposes you are not rich.  I believe there is much truth to this list:
  • You care too much about what your neighbors think
  • You are not patient
  • You spend too much time trying to make a quick buck
  • You flat out ignore your finances and financial goals
  • You care too much about how your car may be a reflection of you
  • You lack financial diversification
  • You started planning too late (I still believe later is better than never)
  • You refuse to learn (this applies to new things as well as from your mistakes...credit)
  • You spend money on things you don't use
  • You don't truly understand value
  • Your house is too big (Utahns are extremely guilty of this)
  • You don't take advantage of opportunities 
I am not perfect either.  I still have a lot of area to cover in the next few years.  There is a lot of truth to this article.  I find it is right in line with many of the principles taught by Thomas Stanley in his book, "The Millionaire Next Door".  A great read.  It really helped me understand that anyone can achieve a level of financial independence at any income level by simply adjusting their daily habits involving money and how they view the filthy stuff.  



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate that everything revolves around money. I like that you call it the filthy stuff.

Jes said...

Wow, I love the lists of reasons why you're not rich. That is so true of so many people. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck with the waiting and all that is about to happen for you guys! I'm so excited!!! I can't wait to see pictures and hear stories. Of course, you'll probably have a harder time blogging with an adorable baby to cuddle.