Monday, September 1, 2008

A Must See ~ The New York Doll


I love music; just about all music. I am also of the original punk rock generation and have always loved the initial punk bands (the new stuff is too loud and fast) such as The New York Dolls, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones, Siouxie Sioux and the Banshees, Generation X, The Damned, Blondie, The Pretenders and etc. Probably one of the least commercially successful, yet most influential bands on the punk movement was the New York Dolls. I don't know of any punk band and many others who do not attribute at least a portion of their influence to them. I was no different. Until the past few years, I was not a major fan of the band, but have always been cognisant of their influence on those bands I loved. I recently got "The New York Doll" from Netflix. I had heard it was good. It wasn't good...it was great! This movie ROCKED, both figuratively and literally.

The New York Dolls (Arthur Kane on the far left)

It is a rockumentary about Arthur "Killer" Kane, the bassist for The New York Dolls. If you know anything about The Dolls of New York, they were barrier breaking. Not only their music, but their dress and on stage antics . On stage they dressed like cross-dressing male prostitutes! Much like Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie). Quite disturbing to gaze upon. They were known for fast music, fast women and a fast lifestyle when it came to drugs and alcohol. Of course all of things would be emulated for years to come in the glam rock era. After a short stint of success, the band broke up and Arthur Kane followed a long trail of failures and non-successes. After losing his life to alcohol and drugs, he attempted (again non-successfully) suicide.

His substance abuse and attempted suicide out of a third story window left him somewhat crippled, both physically and mentally. It was at this point in his life that he found The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the TV guide. He quickly joined AA and sobered up and then joined the church becoming a "Mormon". This was a life saver for him, yet his dream to once again rock often left him depressed and wanting more. This movie documents his rise to fame in the international music scene as well as his decline to Hasbeensville. It documents his changes and the wonderful blessings that followed due to a loving Heavenly Father.
Elder Killer Kane on his way to his calling at the genealogical library at the Los Angeles Temple
This was a Rocking movie, for the eyes, ears and the soul. I cried. It has been a long time since I have cried while watching a movie. This is a must see. It is PG-13 due to drug references (I assume). I don't remember excessive strong language and there was no nudity or sex. I strongly suggest you watch this, whether you are a lover of punk rock or not.

9 comments:

Tara said...

I was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last summer and I heard about this movie. Now I really want to see it!

Natalie said...

My parents have this movie. I'll have to grab it next time I'm over there. I too, have an affinity for all things music.

Happily Ever After said...

O.K. First of all Holy Crapoly! I was bloghopping through Rhonda's blog and found Colleen's and saw your name...you have got to be the only Marque I've ever known and here you are! How are you???? I guess I could read through your blog to find out and maybe I will tonight at midnight when I should be asleep....but just had to say hi to a blast from the past! Debra

Leslie said...

Bill, my co-worker who is a trivia buff about anything music or movie, definitely knew all about New York Doll and this Rockumentary. He also said it was really worth watching. I will have to check it out myself. Bill also said he died from Cancer, but it seemed like he is still among the living from your account. Is he still alive and working at the geneological library?

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

I was trying to avoid ruining the end of the movie, but now it is out there. He did die, 22 days after realizing his dream of perfoming again. He went to the hospital thinking he was sick with the flu (I think) and was diagnosed with Leukemia. He died two hours later.

eran said...

Greg Whiteley who created and directed the movie is a friend of mine. I first met Greg my freshman year at BYU. He lived next door. Over Christmas break there was a bet between a few us started by Greg to see who could learn to juggle first. I seem him now and again. Peter Brienholdt's rockumentary that shown at his concerts was done by Greg and he sometimes jams with the band.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Eran,

That is cool. He did a good job on this movie. I am conflicted by calling a documentary on Peter Breinholdt a "rock"umentary. It should be called an annoyingversionofJamesTaylormentory.

Casey said...

Thanks. I just added it to my netflix que.

Anna K. said...

I saw this documentary and I loved it also!