As I watch the BYU v. UW game, which has proven to be a great game, my mind is elsewhere. All week, my mind has been elsewhere. Adoption. Our good friends, Eric and Natalie Christensen, have adopted twice and are awaiting their third child via adoption. A ward member and friend of Natalie's, upon learning she was going to adopt, said to her, "Adoption, eh? So, you are taking the easy way out?" Yeah, right. Of course, Natalie recognized that sometimes good people say stupid things and it is obvious that this good, but ignorant person has never struggled with infertility or traveled the roller coaster ride that is adoption.
I have had several friends who have adopted or dealt with the frustrating issue of infertility. Each of them have dealt with these experiences in different ways. I recently shared my thoughts and feelings in sacrament meeting regarding trials and how I have dealt with them. One important life principle I have always believed in is, You Control Your Attitude...Regardless! As has proven to be the case with infertility and adoption, there are trials and situations in life that we have little to no control over, but you always have control of how you choose to react to these trials and situations and you most definitely have control over your attitude.
Just as soon as these words were uttered over the pulpit, I immediately knew I had just challenged the powers that be, (Heavenly Father, fate, etc.) and that I would soon be tested further. This quickly proved to be true. We have been calling Nicole for the last couple days, but have been unable to speak to her. Her phone just rang and rang and rang. She does not have an answering service, so this is not uncommon, but typically, she will call us back the same day or the day after. Her case worker contacted us Monday and expressed concern that she and the agency in Utah have been unable to contact her either. On Tuesday, her phone was disconnected. She is due in five weeks and we have not yet arranged her travel plans to Utah. It has now been two weeks since we have seen or spoken to her. I am seriously nervous and stressed.
Understand, I am not the Superman of Attitude. I too am susceptible to the Kryptonite of negative thought or frustration. Sometimes I choose to succumb to these feelings and spend time wallowing in my misery. I think everyone does. As a matter of fact, I am doing so a bit now. My first thoughts of concern are always and immediately for Sarah. I never want anything to hurt her, physically or emotionally. My immediate feelings are to hide my struggle to maintain a positive attitude in order to protect Sarah and secondly to remain optimistic that things will be okay. Sarah has been great. She is nervous too. I can tell. She has still managed to remain optimistic and not allow the uncontrollable situation to bring her down. Sarah, I love you. She is a strong person and I don't give her enough credit. Maybe she doesn't need my protection as much as I think.
So, the roller coaster ride continues ~ Infertility ~ Passing Time ~ Struggle with LDS Family Services ~ Passing Time ~ Resolutions with LDS Family Services ~ Passing Time ~ Changing Agencies and Finding Nicole ~ Passing Time ~ Meeting Nicole ~ Passing Time ~ Nicole MIA ~ Passing Time ~ What will the next chapter be? Who knows. In the meantime, we need to find a way to maintain that positive attitude that I have always prided myself in. It simply is hard to do. I think it is most difficult when someone other than yourself is in total control. It just isn't enough to remind yourself that "Things will happen as they may" or "Everything happens for a reason". These are easy answers after the fact, but when it is all you have before the fact...it just doesn't work as a long term solution. It just isn't enough.
I am so very grateful for the many people that have given us their love, support and genuine concern. Our families, friends, neighbors, ward members, Bishop, employees, bosses, etc. Mostly I am grateful for my wife. I hope in the near future I can tell you how grateful I am for Nicole. For now, I need to leave it in the hands of my Heavenly Father. I am extremely grateful for Him. I am mindful of his hand in my life. While I am unsure why He feels we must experience these trials, I am certain I will come from the Refiner's fire as a stronger person. I will maintain a positive attitude. I am stubborn when I make my mind up to be so. None the less, we could use your prayers. I am sure Nicole could too.
Sorry to be so personal. I have used this blog as my journal, but I don't publish everything I write. Typically, if I get too personal, I simply blog and save the entry as a draft. This time, with Nicole's due date upon us and so many family and friends wanting to show their excitement for us, I felt it would help to avoid the topic if I shared our current worries. I am so grateful it is regional conference this week so that we don't have to attend our normal ward meetings and answer the many inquiries regarding the adoption. With that said, I don't want to stifle the genuine interest and excitement of those we call friends.
I have had several friends who have adopted or dealt with the frustrating issue of infertility. Each of them have dealt with these experiences in different ways. I recently shared my thoughts and feelings in sacrament meeting regarding trials and how I have dealt with them. One important life principle I have always believed in is, You Control Your Attitude...Regardless! As has proven to be the case with infertility and adoption, there are trials and situations in life that we have little to no control over, but you always have control of how you choose to react to these trials and situations and you most definitely have control over your attitude.
Just as soon as these words were uttered over the pulpit, I immediately knew I had just challenged the powers that be, (Heavenly Father, fate, etc.) and that I would soon be tested further. This quickly proved to be true. We have been calling Nicole for the last couple days, but have been unable to speak to her. Her phone just rang and rang and rang. She does not have an answering service, so this is not uncommon, but typically, she will call us back the same day or the day after. Her case worker contacted us Monday and expressed concern that she and the agency in Utah have been unable to contact her either. On Tuesday, her phone was disconnected. She is due in five weeks and we have not yet arranged her travel plans to Utah. It has now been two weeks since we have seen or spoken to her. I am seriously nervous and stressed.
Understand, I am not the Superman of Attitude. I too am susceptible to the Kryptonite of negative thought or frustration. Sometimes I choose to succumb to these feelings and spend time wallowing in my misery. I think everyone does. As a matter of fact, I am doing so a bit now. My first thoughts of concern are always and immediately for Sarah. I never want anything to hurt her, physically or emotionally. My immediate feelings are to hide my struggle to maintain a positive attitude in order to protect Sarah and secondly to remain optimistic that things will be okay. Sarah has been great. She is nervous too. I can tell. She has still managed to remain optimistic and not allow the uncontrollable situation to bring her down. Sarah, I love you. She is a strong person and I don't give her enough credit. Maybe she doesn't need my protection as much as I think.
So, the roller coaster ride continues ~ Infertility ~ Passing Time ~ Struggle with LDS Family Services ~ Passing Time ~ Resolutions with LDS Family Services ~ Passing Time ~ Changing Agencies and Finding Nicole ~ Passing Time ~ Meeting Nicole ~ Passing Time ~ Nicole MIA ~ Passing Time ~ What will the next chapter be? Who knows. In the meantime, we need to find a way to maintain that positive attitude that I have always prided myself in. It simply is hard to do. I think it is most difficult when someone other than yourself is in total control. It just isn't enough to remind yourself that "Things will happen as they may" or "Everything happens for a reason". These are easy answers after the fact, but when it is all you have before the fact...it just doesn't work as a long term solution. It just isn't enough.
I am so very grateful for the many people that have given us their love, support and genuine concern. Our families, friends, neighbors, ward members, Bishop, employees, bosses, etc. Mostly I am grateful for my wife. I hope in the near future I can tell you how grateful I am for Nicole. For now, I need to leave it in the hands of my Heavenly Father. I am extremely grateful for Him. I am mindful of his hand in my life. While I am unsure why He feels we must experience these trials, I am certain I will come from the Refiner's fire as a stronger person. I will maintain a positive attitude. I am stubborn when I make my mind up to be so. None the less, we could use your prayers. I am sure Nicole could too.
Sorry to be so personal. I have used this blog as my journal, but I don't publish everything I write. Typically, if I get too personal, I simply blog and save the entry as a draft. This time, with Nicole's due date upon us and so many family and friends wanting to show their excitement for us, I felt it would help to avoid the topic if I shared our current worries. I am so grateful it is regional conference this week so that we don't have to attend our normal ward meetings and answer the many inquiries regarding the adoption. With that said, I don't want to stifle the genuine interest and excitement of those we call friends.
10 comments:
I get tired of people telling me this so I'm embarrased to say it to you but you are such a strong person and I totally admire your attitude. I think it is hard to remain positive all the time but the alternative isn't much better. I will definatly keep you in my prayers. I'm sorry I missed your testimony in church. I would have like to hear that. I love the music on your blog.
I am sorry that you and Sarah have to go through this. I will pray for you and Sarah and especially Nicole, that she and the baby are okay.
Man, I read this blog entry again and I need to apologize for bringing the mood down. We are truly fine. We love the support and love we receive from our friends and family. Sometimes you just need to vent a little.
My fast and prayers are with you, Sarah and Nicole.
Marque, you and Sarah are amazing people and I can't imagine what an emotional roller coaster this is for you both. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys. No need to apologize. The people who read this blog are all people who love you and are here for you. Keep us updated on what is going on.
You know all that I'm feeling. Wish I hadn't gone on and on yesterday. Wish you had told me. Don't feel like you have to hold us up please!
Don't apologize for sharing your feelings. When you are an optimistic person who lets your attitude form your life you can begin to feel that you fail people if you aren't always "okay". I know that from personal experience. You DO have a great attitude. Your faith will carry you through the roller coaster times, but you DO have to feel your feelings, and let us feel them with you. Thank you for asking for our prayers.
Love you so much!
We have such great family and friends. Thank you to all who have supported us and are there for us. You know who you are.
Bless you hearts!! I've known others who have gone through similar circumstances and it never ceases to amaze me how difficult this trial is. I know it must be so hard to handle the questions all the time...like rehashing emotions over and over. I pray all will go well with Nicole. Hang in there.
So, you did indeed invite the "cold hearted" friends out to dinner Saturday night! We suck! I am so sorry to hear this news. This won't stop me from thinking of fun shower games,Sarah! It would be wonderful for this to work out with Nicole but if not....there will be a shower sooner or later and you'll be the best parents in town! My kids can attest to that! Masses of prayers never hurt so this blog was a good call Q!
We love your gutts
XOXOXOXO
Casale's
Love that you had the guts to share all of this...you never, ever know who will be touched by the experiences you are having! Every experience creates an empathy and compassion and I am so grateful for the NUMEROUS people in my life that have offered that to me. Our prayers and thoughts are with you!
Post a Comment