Friday, September 19, 2008

Life Turns on a Dime

Just when you think you have a grip on things, someone throws you a curve ball. The last three weeks have been tough. Of course, if you read this blog you probably figured that out on your own. Nicole still has not surfaced. We are still hopeful that everything is okay with her. We have so many friends, family and coworkers that constantly ask how things are going with the adoption. When things are going well, you welcome those questions, but when things are not going well (as they have the last few weeks) you dread the questions. We have not minded the questions as much because we understand the sincere interest of those that love us.


Our case worker at LDSFS, Alyssa. has been trying to meet with us all week. I have not been in the mood to talk to others at all, let alone talk about the frustrations I have been experiencing with the adoption process. After putting her off for a couple days, she called again and insisted that we meet with her on Thursday. Reluctantly I agreed. Sarah and I went to visit her at her office and had our typical meeting to discuss how we were doing, any changes, etc. After it appeared we were finished with our meeting, Alyssa mentioned she had one more thing for us. As she left to the other room, I assumed she needed us to update some paperwork or something like that. Instead, she came back with a baby tub filled with baby clothes, socks, bibs, towels and blankets.
The Surprise Gift Basket From Caitlin

Needless to say, Sarah and I were totally confused! Also in the tub was a card. Sarah opened the envelope and tearfully read the card. It read, "Today, the ocean will ebb and tide, the earth will revolve around the sun, and stars will twinkle in the deep blue sky...but nothing will come close to the wonder and the miracle of holding this new little boy in your arms. Congratulations." Then she read the hand written message, "I would like to thank you so much for giving my baby the chance of a lifetime. I know I have made the right choice. Love, Caitlin" What a total trip! Our heads were spinning in disbelief! Just an hour before, I was experiencing depression for the first time in my life and then VOILA! All is seemingly better. We didn't know much about Caitlin, but we did know she is from Utah, is expecting a boy and her due date is October 20th.
Sarah, Caitlin and I...Can you tell we're happy?

Today we met Caitlin. Both, Sarah and I, were nervous. My gut was in knots. After waiting for a few minutes, we were led to a room where Caitlin and her parents were waiting. Caitlin is a pretty girl with a great smile. The first thing I realized was how much her hair looked like Sarah's. Her mother is just starting to grow her hair back out after battling and beating breast cancer. Her dad reminds me of me a little. Caitlin's case worker, Matt, and our case worker were with us. The seven of us sat down and talked for almost two hours. We would have talked even longer if they would have allowed us. The conversation never dragged and we absolutely love Caitlin!
Caitlin's Father, Tom, Caitlin and Caitlin's Mother, Nancy

We were so impressed by Caitlin. She has gone through a rough patch in life with the pregnancy and all, but it appears to have made her a better, stronger and more mature person. She has such a clear understanding of the process and how to approach it. She seems so strong to us. One thing is for sure, we love her. I am so certain that Heavenly Father is aware of her. I know he loves her and is guiding her at this time. Caitlin is due in a month, yet she still works and goes to school. She obviously loves her family and they seem to have a strong relationship. She gets straight A's in school and (when not pregnant) is part of the high school swim team. She is in the ROTC and is planning on becoming a flight nurse for the Marine Corps. Caitlin is naturally a blonde, though her hair is now strawberry blonde, and she has blue eyes. She is petite and athletic and has a great smile. She is still wearing her regular jeans! She has quite a few similar interests as we do, which is one of the reasons she selected us.

When it came to picking us as the couple to raise her son, she narrowed it down to two couples. She said there was much tension and stress in her life and in their home up until picking us. She mentioned that immediately after selecting our profile, she felt peace in her decision and knew it was right. She had obviously done her homework on us and knew quite a bit about us from our profile and pictures. She said the main reason for picking us was that she could tell from our pictures that we love each other and love life. She said she was touched that we were always smiling big in all of our pictures. She also joked that she liked the fact that we were not wearing matching clothes. That was funny. She, like us, enjoys traveling, camping, the outdoors, visiting National Parks, 80's music, and more. She also has a great sense of humor.

We were so very impressed with Caitlin. It is automatically hard not to love her for her courageous sacrifice for us. It is even harder now that we have met her. She is such a sweet, pretty and smart girl. She has invited us to come to her next doctor's appointment to see the ultrasound. I feel like we are intruding a bit, but we are excited that she wants us there. What a roller coaster ride this has been. It appears it will prove to be a good ride.

24 comments:

Batistas said...

OH my goodness. I am sooooo happy for you guys!! Heavenly Father definatly has his own timeline and it always works out!! I got teary eyed reading your blog. When we got the call from my brother about their little Rex I went nuts!! Congrats!!

Deena ♥ Curtis said...

We are thrilled for you!!! Heavenly Father always has his own plan even though it's hard on us for a while.

I am SO glad there is a rainbow with the pot of gold at the end for you.. you guys deserve it!!! Just another testimony that prayers are answered in due time. CONGRATS!!

Leslie said...

I'm sure anyone who reads this blog will have the same mixture of tears and smiles that I do,,,

Well maybe not QUITE as many tears, and maybe not smiling QUITE as big...but close!

Heavenly Father is so aware of you two...my goodness. It is so amazing that this little boy is due at the same time as Nicole's little boy. Only one month from today???!!! It's just a miracle, just a miracle.

The bitter in life makes the sweet so supremely sweet!

I love Caitlin too...please tell her how grateful we all are. She is precious, and hardly looks pregnant at all.

Love you to the skies,
Gramma

Anonymous said...

Oh My goodness, My eyes are so full of happy exciting tears and my heart is pounding so hard, as I read this update on the adoption, even though I have talked with Sarah since you have talked with Alyssa, There is just so much feeling in this blog, Im so excited for you guys you will be the most loving yet awsome parnets ever,
Heavenly Father does have his own plan for you and it seems as he for sure wants you to have a sweet little baby boy in the Month of October, We love you guys so much and can't wait to see the new addition to our family!!!
Hailey and Mady are so excited to see, cuddle, and love there new little cousin. May the blessings contuine to pour out for you both.
Hugs,
Sam

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

We need to thank everyone. The calls and comments keep coming and they are the foundation of what has kept us strong throughout this ordeal. Our family have been great, our ward has been great. Mark and Ruth took us out for drinks two nights ago. Joe and Brenda took us out to dinner yesterday. We feel and appreciate the support.

Allison said...

Wow, that's fantastic news! I'm so happy for you two. What a roller coaster it's been! Heavenly Father was just waiting for the right mom and little baby to come along. You're going to make wonderful parents! Congratulations!

Lish said...

WOW!!! That is so awesome! I'm glad things are working out for you two. You guys are truly blessed!!!

Brian said...

Great news! We're soooooo happy for you both! You're gonna be great parents!

Does Caitlin know you're a USC fan?..shhhh. j/k.

hoppygirl said...

How exciting. I am so happy for you guys! I am so glad that Caitlin saw what great people you are and picked you. Congratulations!

Melissa said...

Wow!!! I'm so happy for you! What a blessing. This just shows how much Heavenly Father knows each of us and knows what's best for us. Thanks for sharing this faith building story. Please continue to keep us updated.

basquegirl said...

Been praying for you everyday. Hope all is well with Nicole.
What a beautiful girl Caitlin is!!
Congratulations!!

Joe and Brenda Ashby said...

Q and Sarah
You know how excited we are for you prayers have been answered. You will make the best parents ever. We are very excited to share in this joyous time in life with you. Many tears of joy and sadness have been shed I am so glad the tears are now tears of joy. From what you told us last night Caitlin is an amazing young women and we will also be praying for her to have strength through this time. We love you guys!!!!!!

Happily Ever After said...

What fabulous news! I'm so happy for you both!

Unknown said...

I'm completely blown away and shaking as I read this entry. I feel how much this was meant to be! I can't even tell you how excited I am for you. Prayers have definately been answered. Although, you may always feel like you've lost your other baby, I'm sure this baby will bring you great joy. Congrats Daddy and Momma!

Casey said...

I have been aching for you these past few weeks. And now with this great news I am jumping for joy for you. This is wonderful news. This is definitely a story that testifies that our Heavenly Father is real, he loves us and things are done in His time. I am so happy for you both. We'll be praying for you. Can't wait for October. We love you and can't wait to read the next entries in your blog. You think you blog alot now, just wait until you have that little baby, you'll want to post pictures 3 times a day. And I can't wait to see them.

BBliss said...

BIG SMILES - Big Tears!! Congratulations to all of you - We love you

Tara said...

Oh that is the best news I have heard all week! I know you will be awesome parents!

Robb, Rhonda and girls said...

I am so excited for you guys!!!!!!! I don't cry much but this post got me crying. We know how hard the waiting is and how amazing it is when you finally have a baby in your arms.

Amy Lynn said...

Oh...joy, joy, joy! I have chills up and down after reading this blog...beautifully written! We are definitely sharing vicariously in your joy through your blogs. Thank you for sharing this amazing journey! We're so thrilled for you!

Tiffany said...

Lots of tears and happiness for you guys! I am so excited for you to feel the joy of being parents-nothing like it in the world. Lots of love and congrats!

katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katie said...

I have been stalking your blog now for a while. It's katie(pratt). I had just read about what you had been going through with Nicole, and my heart went out to you and Sarah. Then this morning, my mom had asked if I had read your blog recently. She then told me the great news. I literally had goose bumps. I am so excited for you. This is one lucky little guy. Congrats you two.

RobHeidi Family said...

Marque, you were so cute the night you came by to tell us about Caitlin! You were a little giddy with excitement and anticipation to meet her the next day! I am so proud of you for "being yourself" so she could love you and Sarah as much as we do! P.S. I think Caitlin is a mix of you and Sarah....wowzers!
It seems like in my life and apparently yours too, Heavenly Father takes me to the very edge of what I can handle and that is the time that I realize that if I don't hand it over to him I am not going to make it. And as if by magic you find the last puzzle piece stuck under the neighbors sofa!
- A twisted web this life is...(Heidiyoda)

Lyn said...

Marqe and Sarah! We are so happy for you! As I read your blog, tears were running down my cheeks and I was at work but I couldn't help the tears of joy for you! As I was reading it a couple of my co-workers came up and so I showed them the picture of you both and Catlin and her parents. My friend asked if she and Sarah were related as she feels that they look so much alike. We all felt there was a resemblance between her father and you too Q. So Little Q should fit right in with the family. Congratulations to the Trosper Family and too Catlin and her family because they found the best family for Little Q.

Do you know at which hospital she will be delivering?

Let us know when you will be down in this area so we can go with you to celebrate. And pick up Junior's blanket.

Love you tons
Aunt Lyn and Uncle Ray