Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Visit From Caitlin

When Sarah and I first began the adoption process, we were constantly asked by everyone involved how we felt about open adoptions. While there are different levels of openness, we agreed we were open to discussing anything, but would not make any promises we could not keep. When we met Caitlin, we agreed to send pictures the first few weeks and every year on Leah's (then Caleb's) birthday. We also agreed to invite her to the blessing. Those were promises we could make and we entered the relationship with every intention of delivering what we promised.
We immediately felt a closeness to Caitlin, and not only because she was giving us this amazing gift. She is a neat girl. As each day and week progressed toward the delivery day, we got to know her more. We met for dinner a couple times, and the three of us called and texted each other constantly. We grew to develop a sincere concern for Caitlin and her future. After Leah was placed with us, we reminded each other what obligations we had each made in regards to the open adoption. At this point, we were more committed than we could have ever imagined.
We knew it must be a hard thing that Caitlin had just done for Leah and herself and for us. We wanted to make sure that we could do whatever we could to help Caitlin in the emotional healing process she was about to begin. We continued to text her and occasionally call her in addition to sending photos like we initially promised. We slowly stopped texting and calling her, but made it very clear she could contact us whenever she needed. She still texts to this day. Last week she asked if it would be okay if she met with us again to give Leah a Christmas present. We agreed.
Saturday, Caitlin came to our house with her parents to meet Sarah's and my families. After a short visit with them, our families left and we were able to allow Caitlin to spend some time with Leah. It was a good day. Caitlin is healing, but she is frustrated with how slow the process is. We hope she endures it well and works towards moving forward in her life. She admits she is bummed at times, but never once has regretted her decision. She loves us and she loves Leah and she knows she did the right thing. We hope and pray for guidance daily for knowledge of how to best proceed.
Caitlin, we love you and pray for you daily. Thank you, again!

6 comments:

Casey said...

Q,

you are so much more compasionate than I think that I ever could be. I am impressed that you are able to add the feelings of yet another woman in your life. It is a never ending ordeal with women in my life!!

FYI - Your last paragraph there, you have a freudian slip. Caitlin came to your house, not Leah, hopefully she was already there!! If she isn't, that is just one more area that she is an impressive little girl that she can already drive!!

Whimpy

Joe and Brenda Ashby said...

Amazing absolutely amazing the love that is shared between you and Caitlin. She looks happy I pray for her often.

Deena ♥ Curtis said...

What an amazing group of people I am so pleased to know! You are ALL great examples of Christ-like love!

Thank you for that!!!

Happily Ever After said...

What an angel Caitlyn is to you both and what angels you are to her. Leah is a lucky little girl to be loved so much!

Leslie said...

It was so great to meet Caitlin and her parents. I had the opportunity to speak with Nancy for awhile and she is very grounded. No doubt that is why Caitlin is a survivor. They truly KNOW you two were the angels for their family.

I was glad to let Caitlin's parents know that as Leah's grandparents we would love her for them as well.

Neat people!

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to meet Caitlin and her parnets, they are amazing people such a strong family, and Caitlin seems to have a great look on life and so much for her future, We are all so grateful for her but I have to say I was touched when Nancy (her mom) said to our Mom (Leslie) I have to thank you all because you all see this as a blessing for you but we see it as a blessing for Caitlin and she is ablet to live the live of a 16 year old girl, I don't think I ever thought about it that way but it is so true Caitlin gave My Princess Leah a chance at life with Marque and Sarah but Marque and Sarah gave Caitlin the gift of life also and she is about to carry out her future and do the things in life that she wants to do. I Love you Marque and Sarah and Princess Leah, And I have so much love for Caitlin and her family my they all be blessed this hoilday season.