I wanted to share a few simple thoughts regarding Prop 8. I don't claim that my simple thoughts are correct and that yours are wrong I just wanted to share how I feel and hope that it somehow creates some peace and love that are in desperate need at this time. I must select my words carefully, because I do not want to offend and become part of the problem.
Let me first state that I come from a loving family and have been taught since my youth to be a Christ like and tolerant person, meaning I was taught to appreciate diversity and learned, by my parent's example, to treat others as Jesus would. I fall short of these principles more times than not and tend to judge others when it is not my place to judge. I have always been an opinionated person and try (unsuccessfully) to keep those opinions to myself so as to not offend. This often leads to me sharing my thoughts and opinions regardless of how it may affect others. While these shortcomings need to be made strengths, I also recognize my strength of loving and accepting others.
While my opinion is my opinion and I will always tell you it is the correct opinion, I will also tell you that I love and appreciate your rites to have your own opinions whether they are in alignment with mine or not. This is part of the great plan of life. We have the great rite and responsibility to be individuals and to develop our own opinions and beliefs. The plan did not intend for each of us to be forced into the same opinion of one person. Heavenly Father allows us to reach our own resolutions, each as we see fit. I may not agree with you, and I will likely tell you when I don't agree with you, but I will just as quickly communicate to you in one way or another that I love you and respect you and your beliefs.
The perfect example of this philosophy in my life is my approach to homosexuality. I believe homosexuality is wrong. I believe homosexuality is an abomination before a concerned Father in Heaven. I believe, by design, God created man and woman to bond and grow as a family unit. I believe we should fight to protect this sacred union. I appreciate those who have voted in support of Prop 8 in my home state of California. With that said....I was taught to love the sinner and hate the sin. I have friends that are homosexual. I love them. I think Christ wants me to love them. I think their sins cause great suffering for our Savior, yet he continues to love them...how then, could I not.
I think Prop 8 has recently brought out the worse in some. I have heard many hateful comments regarding both sides for and against this proposition. Most of these comments, as is typically the case, are made in ignorance by decent individuals. There are many homophobic bigots that support Prop 8 with more emphasis on fighting homosexuality than on protecting the sanctity of marriage. To these individuals I would challenge them to view each of their comments and actions and evaluate where their passion lies. There are many Prop H8ers that are displaying pathetic character in how they are choosing to show their dissatisfaction with the passed amendment; vandalizing churches and LDS temples and even mailing Anthrax! To these individuals I say, shame on you. You do not help your plight by demonstrating this way. Act within the law and pursue your cause legally.
I think the thing that bothers me the most is the blind support given to Prop 8. I am guilty of this as well. I hate politics and this is greatly due to my ignorance. I hate partisan politics, but everywhere I turn someone has an opinion supporting one side or the other, with each side spewing lies and half truths about the other side! What is a dim-whitted guy like me to do?! How am I to know what is truth? In this case, each individual that chose to support this proposition had the ability, and in my opinion (which is alway right...remember?) the responsibility to read the proposition and eliminate the opinions of others, thus allowing each of us to develop our own decision if we support it or not. The sad truth is that most did not read it. Most simply jumped on the bandwagon of either side, assuming truth in what they had heard about it. Mostly, those assumptions would have been correct for either side in regards to this prop. None the less, I find it slightly disturbing that few felt the need to gather their own thoughts and opinions.
I do not believe (the gospel according to Q) that Heavenly Father wants us to blindly swallow what is fed to us. I believe he wants us to study things, contemplate them, pray for guidance and then whole heartedly follow that guidance. How much stronger would our resolve be to issues like this if we gained our opinions in this manner? He gave us hearts and minds for this very purpose. It has been my experience in following this process that I seem to almost always fall in line with the thoughts and beliefs of those wise men that have been called to lead me spiritually. In every matter affecting my salvation I agree with the brethren. But I came to these conclusions on my own. I own them. They are mine. They were not given to me and I was not told to own them.
This issue is far from over. There will be another proposition in the next election that will likely overturn this proposition. It will be rewritten time and time again to support the angle of the group that wrote it. While I believe we need to protect marriage endorsed of God as a union between a man and a woman, I can understand why Prop H8ers are upset...they didn't get to vote for my marriage. They will fight this again and again. They may win because they have the support of the media. I looked for images of Pro Prop 8 Protesters and could not find any. While the news has gladly covered the cause of the Con Prop 8 Protesters.
I have long believed that the single issue that will divide society and separate the wheat from the chaff will be homosexuality. It is a tough issue to know how to deal with. I am smart enough to know I don't know everything. I do know that God does not make someone gay. I also assume there may be issues regarding chemical imbalances that cause these things thus creating my concern on how I judge those individuals....While it is not the fault of God, it very well may not be any fault of their own either. I believe the church understands this as well which is why they do not look upon those struggling with homosexuality as sinners until the sin of acting on their feelings is committed. Tough one. I am happy I don't have this dilemma to deal with. I need to remember to not judge.
I have long believed that the single issue that will divide society and separate the wheat from the chaff will be homosexuality. It is a tough issue to know how to deal with. I am smart enough to know I don't know everything. I do know that God does not make someone gay. I also assume there may be issues regarding chemical imbalances that cause these things thus creating my concern on how I judge those individuals....While it is not the fault of God, it very well may not be any fault of their own either. I believe the church understands this as well which is why they do not look upon those struggling with homosexuality as sinners until the sin of acting on their feelings is committed. Tough one. I am happy I don't have this dilemma to deal with. I need to remember to not judge. I guess the bottom line is this. I believe acts of homosexuality are sins. I believe God loves these individuals so I should too. I believe we need to support the sanctity of marriage as God intended. I support the church in their support of this proposition, but I came to that conclusion on my own, not because I was told to. The world needs more love and peace. I need to be a part of that. Not a part of the hate. More need to realize this as well.
Sorry to ramble.


6 comments:
Good job.
Marque, You are such a good writer. I agree with everything you say. Sometimes I show my opinions more than really deep down explaining them in a heart felt loving manner like you. Thank you for your words. I to wish people would research, study, and pray about issues. What a different world we would live in. We would still have differences but maybe the hate and anger would be much less. I was just telling Tim as we watched the news last night about the prop 8 protesters that are protesting all over the country - even in states where this wasn't voted on, that as I watch all this I can't help to see history repeating itself from what we read in the scriptures and how all the warnings and signs given in the scriptures are coming to pass. You are right, we need to come to our own conclusions and I might add our own testimonies and keep them strong because, who knows, we may be in a situation just like Moroni and be the only single person living right and following Heavenly Father.
That is EXACTLY why God made "Adam and Eve" and Not "Adam and Steve"!!!
Marque you are my son! I am a little more liberal than you are, but basically we believe the same.
I got very angry when you guys were kids and the "family life" curriculum came to a vote in the City of Chino. I was very involved with the PTA, the school board, and had even attended a community school workshop with the lady who was in charge of the curriculum. It was available for every parent to see in the school district. I knew who had taken the time and the effort to look at the curriculum....not many....and then imagine my surprise to see all my fellow ward and stake members who came to vehemently express opposition to a curriculum at a school board meeting. As they were flocked at the door I truly saw them as sheep just following a leader who herself had not even taken the time to check out the curriculum. I respected every persons right to be there and to express an opinion, but I wished so much that they REALLY knew what they were talking about. I did see the curriculum and in many cases they were wrong about it's content. I did oppose it myself so in the end I agreed with them, but I didn't agree with how they got to their opinion.
I also wrote on my feelings about Prop 8 so I won't go into them here, but I am very worried that Christian people remember to be Christ like as they make their decisions. Christ told us in very strong language that we have no right to judge others. I agree so strongly in the Family Proclamation, but we have absolutely no right to judge our brothers and sisters who struggle with a challenge we can't possibly understand.
AMEN TO THAT!!!OUR WORLD WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE IF EVERYONE COULD THINK LIKE YOU MARQUE! YOU ARE AN AWESOME WRITER!!!!
This is now getting ridiculously ugly. Those that claim to suffer at the hand of intolerance are now targeting a group of people with intolerance laced with hate and venom. Sad.
Post a Comment