Sunday, November 30, 2008

Holiday Time is Family Time!

Back Row (l to r): Jim, Me and Scott
Front Row (l to r): Madyson Nicole, Samantha, Leah, Sarah, Mum, DOD, and Hailey Leilani

What a great Thanksgiving. My entire family still lives in California. I have invited them to Utah for the holidays for years with the sad response that they could not get the time off of work or that they were planning the event for So Cal. My feelings have never been hurt, but I did find it oddly peculiar that they were able to make it to Utah for the holidays now that we have Leah! I joke. I understand that both of my brothers now have jobs that allow more flexibility, but I also understand they were anxious to come meet Little Leah! We were happy they did.

Sarah did a great job this year preparing Thanksgiving Dinner for 14 out of our little kitchen that fits two! She spent so much time planning and preparing and the result was a fantastic dinner with little or no effort on the part of our guests. While we watched Christmas Vacation (somewhat of a holiday tradition), Sarah made turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, peas, corn, carrots, broccoli, rolls, yams, cranberry sauce, jello, cherry cream pie, pumpkin pie and Dutch apple pie! It was good! We so enjoyed the company of my Mum, DOD, Jim, Samantha, Hailey Leilani, Madyson Nicole, Scott, Joshua Wilson, Uncle Ray and Aunt Lynette and the Valderramas and they all helped where needed.

We have a fun Thanksgiving tradition in my family that has evolved a bit. After the head of the household says the Thanksgiving prayer and everyone prepares their plates, the head of the household (this year being me) holds the turkey leg and states to all present that which he is grateful for. We used to then take a bite of the turkey leg and pass it along, (similar to the family talking stick), but we have all become germaphobes, so we simply hold it as we express our gratitude for our family, friends and other blessings. I did not do so well, as emotions hit me strong this year. I was only able to state that I was grateful for Leah. I think everyone knows how grateful I am for them as well. As we passed the turkey leg around, each person shared a blessing or two that that they were grateful for. We are so, so truly blessed.

I enjoyed everyone's company and we were so happy my family was finally able to make it to Utah for a holiday. They have shown Sarah, Leah and I so much love and brought us so many gifts. Their visit meant so much. Here are a few photos.
Samantha and Leah
All my girls!
Leilani and Leah
Madyson loves Leah soooo much
Uncle JimmyUncle Scotty
YUMM! Clark, That looks GOOOOOOD!
Madyson was embarrassed to say what she was thankful for, so I held the turkey leg and spoke for her. What a coincidence it was when she spake through me and expressed her undying love for her Uncle Marque and how grateful she was for him in her life. She went on and on and on about me! Thanks, Madyson. I love you too!
Mom came prepared with a list of what she was grateful for.
The Whole Famn Damily and the Valderramas! Jason is family anyway!
Grandma showering Leah with kisses

The girls were so anxious to help with Leah in any way they couldI have no idea what he is doing, but it looks gay
You callin' us monkeys?!

And then in a blink of an eye....they were gone!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

What a great Thanksgiving. So much to be grateful for.

My list said:
"I like my chicken fried,
Cold coke on a Friday night,
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio uuup!"
Just like the Zac Brown Band.

No really mostly this year besides Leah and Caitlin whom we are all so grateful for....I'm thankful for my terrific family ... their support and love.

Delicious food Marque, Sarah, and all who contributed. It wasn't me!!! That was strange...to eat food on Thanksgiving that I didn't help prepare. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

I was telling the gang about passing the turkey leg around and taking a bite on Thanksgiving.

I like your tradition a lot too.

You are a fun group to be around, love you all.

You may get this twice it didn't seem to go the first time.

Anna K. said...

Looks so fun! I wish we were there! Looks like Sarah did an awesome job on all that food!

Anonymous said...

I was so Thankful that with Jims new job and me having weekends off that we were able to spend the holiday with everyone, They did such a wonderful job with everything, I felt very odd not doing anything well I was spending time with Leah,
Thank you Marque and Sarah, we had great time with you all, and Hope we can do it again sometime soon, See you in January.