Today I went to lunch with an associate from Kansas City, MO. He wanted sushi, so we went to Yapona. Yapona is a sushi bar near my home in American Fork, UT. I have never been much of a sushi guy, but we have gone there a couple times with our friends the Casales and Jaspers. I have always enjoyed their non-sushi menu. They have great entrees like their Beef Teriyaki Don or their Bento Box Lunch. Their appetizers are tasty and their desserts are like art!
When we got there, I saw they were now serving Kobe Beef and I immediately decided that was for me. It was expensive for a lunch steak, $28 for an 8 oz sirloin, broccoli and rice. If you have ever had Kobe (or the American cousin, Wagyu) you would know it is well worth it. Kobe beef comes from a virgin cow that is feed Sake and Beer and hand massaged daily. It is a very tender meat from the high marbelized fat content. It is expensive, but again, well worth it...unless it is from Yapona.
My steak was overcooked (well) when I ordered it medium rare. It also was fairly tough. It had the texture of shoe leather more than beef. The flavor was not bad, but it was definitely not Kobe. I questioned the waitress if she had indeed brought me the Kobe and she confirmed that she did. Either the chef/owner at Yapona does not have a clue what Kobe is or they thought I wouldn't know.
My suggestion....go to Yapona. It is a great restaurant. It truly is. Whatever you do, DO NOT GET THE KOBE!!! IT ISN'T KOBE!!! IT IS A RIP OFF!!! IT IS OFFENSIVE AND DISAPPOINTING!!!
3 comments:
Hahahahaha!!! Very well expressed! Maybe this reminds me a little of your "Diet Coke" problem. Maybe you should get your pallet checked!
We found that place to be nasty. Hope Gloria pulls through!!!
Seeing as "raw fish" has been mentioned in connection with that place, we haven't gone near it. Plus I have to admit I am suspicious of any place that serves fish in Utah...you know, that land-locked state with no ocean near by?? Where DOES that fish come from? And how long ago? (See what I mean by all the "quirks" I walk around with?)
Post a Comment