Saturday, November 15, 2008

Random Thoughts for a Saturday Evening

Team 1151 of O-Hills
Random Thought #1
Often times I see young punks between the ages of 12 and 17 doing or saying stupid things and I find myself asking "Was I that stupid?! Was I anything like that when I was that age?" I remember being a pretty sharp kid with a pretty strong support group in my friends. When I watch the young men I work with in the Orchard Hills Ward, present, past and future, I find myself saying, "These guys are just like I and my friends were when we were their age". I believe that to be a compliment.

Today I had the opportunity to go to an Eagle court of honor for two of these young men I may have the opportunity to work with directly in the near future, Riley Cox and Ryan Hall. Now, I will admit that the Scouting program is a little watered down in Utah compared to what I remember of Troop 200, but we have an amazing group of guys. I believe there are currently twelve young men that have earned their Eagle Scout Award. This is impressive by any standard, even more by Utah standard. Those over the Scouting program in Troop and Teams 1151 have done a good job to see that their boys receive the support and encouragement they need to accomplish this great task. They deserve a big pat on the back.
Random Thought #2
I hope the people in harm's way in Southern California are doing everything they can to be safe. I hope the firefighters are safe too. Yorba Linda has been hit very strong by this destruction as has Chino Hills State Park. Whenever I needed alone time or time to think and pray or even just time to study, I would do so at Chino Hills State Park. I have many fond memories of mountain biking, hiking, working on Eagle Projects, etc at that Park. It saddens me to think it will be a charred mess.
Random Thought #3
The BCS is a mess again and it has not even been attacked by wild fires! USC is playing the most dominating defensive football of any school out there. It would be fun to see them take on anyone. I thoroughly enjoy watching the SC D every Saturday....why do they not consider D for style points?! Jim Harbaugh is a horse's ass! I can't stand Charlie Weis and think he is WAY over rated. The BYU and UofU game should be a great one with all that rides on it!
Random Thought #4
Leah Caitlin Bliss Trosper has got to be the cutest little thing ever! This morning she smiled at me several times and it made my day. Caitlin has asked if we can meet her for dinner sometime in December to exchange Christmas gifts. Of course we agreed and this made me feel good too.
Random Thought #5
It amazes me how little things still remind me of Rush. I really miss him and it makes me mad that someone has him and is purposely not trying to find his rightful owner. I hope he is happy.
Random Thought #6
$1800! That is what it cost to fix the Rover! New Serpentine Belt, Radiator, Water Pump, and Thermostat! The guy at the shop asked me if I learned my lesson about owning a Rover. I told him "No" as this was my second and probably not my last Rover that I would own. Rover's rock!

Random Thought #7
Do not try the 6 Italian Cheese Pizza from Papa John's....it is nothing to rave about.

Random Thought #9
I need to wrap this up so I can prepare my lesson for the Teacher's Quorum tomorrow. I have no idea what I am going to teach.

Random Thought #10
I wonder how many people caught that there was not a number 8.

Have a happy day!

4 comments:

Batistas said...

Well although I wasn´t part of your crowd growing up (a little too young) I´m sure that you were a really great teen, but I do remember one time you ordering like 20 pizzas to our house! I think that you were getting back at my brother for something or maybe my dad did something crazy!! You can´t be perfect all the time! :)

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

HAHA. I was getting back at Robert for kicking the side of my car and putting a dent in the door. I still feel bad about that. Robert was a little punk back then. What a great man he is today though!

Rhett and Jenteal said...

I didn't notice there was no #8!

Leslie said...

You rock Melanie!!

I concur...with Marque. You were a pretty good kid, and you had a great group of friends.

And with Melanie....you weren't perfect. You ordered how many pizzas? I never heard about that one!

Interesting random thoughts. I wondered what happened to #8.