On December 7, 1941, 67 years ago today, the United States of America was viciously attacked by the Japanese. While it is long enough ago for most to forgive, there are those that still can not. I do not judge them, for I was not there. I do, however, appreciate their bravery and willingness to serve my country and fight for the liberties and freedoms I enjoy today. I have had the privilege and honor to visit Pearl Harbor and the U.S.S. Arizona War Memorial three times. There are not many "touristy" places I will visit multiple times, but this place is special. Each time I have visited, there was a veteran of the great world war and survivor of the attack on Pearl Harbor. It is a special treat to listen to them tell their story and how they were personally affected by this horrendous event.
My grandfather served in the U.S. Coast Guard and was taken from me too early. I never had the opportunity to hear his stories. Though he was relatively safe from harm, he did serve bravely and I am sure he has many fun stories about his service. Sarah's Uncle Vern served in the Navy during World War II and saw much action in the South Pacific. He has many tales to tell and it has been neat to hear them. I have been fortunate to speak to these great veterans at the U.S.S. Arizona memorial on more than one occasion. I am blessed to have that opportunity. Very soon, there will be no one left to share their story first hand. There are currently 1100-1200 WW II veterans dieing daily with only 4000-6000 Pearl Harbor survivors. If you have the opportunity, thank them and get them to tell you at least one story. They will likely enjoy the opportunity.
This week, at least take the opportunity to remember those that lost their lives in paradise that day. A special thanks this day to those who served us in this noble war. They truly are a choice generation.
My grandfather served in the U.S. Coast Guard and was taken from me too early. I never had the opportunity to hear his stories. Though he was relatively safe from harm, he did serve bravely and I am sure he has many fun stories about his service. Sarah's Uncle Vern served in the Navy during World War II and saw much action in the South Pacific. He has many tales to tell and it has been neat to hear them. I have been fortunate to speak to these great veterans at the U.S.S. Arizona memorial on more than one occasion. I am blessed to have that opportunity. Very soon, there will be no one left to share their story first hand. There are currently 1100-1200 WW II veterans dieing daily with only 4000-6000 Pearl Harbor survivors. If you have the opportunity, thank them and get them to tell you at least one story. They will likely enjoy the opportunity.
This week, at least take the opportunity to remember those that lost their lives in paradise that day. A special thanks this day to those who served us in this noble war. They truly are a choice generation.

3 comments:
Thanks Marque, for the reminder of why we are still a free country. With the hectic life during the holidays it was nice to sit and read your words and contemplate what could have happened if we didn't have those brave soldiers protecting us. I'm grateful for their service and you are right, someday we won't hear those stories first hand. Thanks again.
Thank you Marque for the reminder. I had a lot to say about this so I posted it on my blog.
Marque,
Thanks for remembering the veterans, particularly of World War II, and your Grandpa. He served mostly on Guam. He was an extremely patriotic man who loved his country, and taught all of us to love and honor our freedom.
Your Great Grandfather Bliss served at 18 in World War I in France. He didn't die, but he gave his life. He was gassed with mustard gas and he was never able to live or work a normal life ever again.
The Arizona is an extremely reverent place, I loved visiting this great memorial.
Post a Comment