Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas Time Is Here!


I was looking for something Christmasy to put on the blog, when I stumbled across this list of Christmas symbols with their meanings and origins. Most symbols of Christmas have pagan roots, but have since been interpreted to have Christian ideals associated with them. I don't think it is as important where the tradition came from as it is to consider what it means today to me. Their origins are interesting to study though. I think someone in my family put this on our myfamily.com website, but I couldn't find it. Anyways, some of these are obvious, but I found others interesting so I thought I would share.



  • The Star - The heavenly sign of a prophecy fulfilled long, long ago.

  • The Color Red - First color of Christmas representing Christ's sacrifice for all.

  • The Fir Tree - Representing the second color of Christmas which shows everlasting light and life with it's needles pointing to heaven.

  • The Bell - Rings out to guide the sheep back to the shepherd demonstrating that all are precious in His eyes.

  • The Candle - A mirror of the star reflecting our thanks for the star of Bethlehem.

  • The Bow - Tied as we should be in the ties of goodwill.

  • The Candy Cane - Shaped as the shepherd's bow used to bring lost lambs back to the fold. The white representing purity and red representing the blood of Christ.

  • The Wreath - Having no end, represents the never ending eternal value of love.

  • Holly - It's sharp and pointy leaves represent the crown of thorns worn by Christ and the red berries represent drops of blood.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been looking all over for these for seminary! I have a list with photos buried in some box. I'm so glad you posted these!