Monday, August 3, 2009

Pass the Poi, Mahalo!


I have been thinking a lot about getting out of town the past few weeks. We have a trip planned and paid for in November to Mexico and one in February to Hawaii. We will be going back to Hawaii in September of 2010 as well. This is all well and good, but it is just too far away. In one of my day dreams, I pondered our trip to Oahu in February. I have been to Oahu several times and seem to have been sucked in to believe that this is not a good thing! I always hear that if you have been once, you never need to go again...spend your time on other islands. Well, I admit I want to spend some time on other islands, but I am confused...when did a beautiful beach with a city filled with amazing restaurants, nightlife and thousands of people to watch become a bad thing?! I am more than stoked to go to Oahu again. It should be a fun time.

Anyway, flash forward to the present. On my way home today from work I was thinking of how much I love Hawaii. Food is such an important part of vacationing to us. We love good food on holidays. Oahu is no exception...Ruth's Chris, Dukes Canoe Club, Lulu's, Cheesecake Factory, Leonard's, Top of Waikiki, Matsumoto's, Puka Dog, Side Street Inn and Ono Hawaiian Foods. We almost need to go again and again and again to hit this list of eateries alone, not to mention experience new joints. Of course things to do and see are not in short aray either; Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, Germaine's, Haleiwa, Hanauma Bay, PCC (I guess), The Punch Bowl, Pali Pass, and dozens of great beaches. I am sure each of the other islands have much to offer as well, but as far as I am concerned, Oahu is just fine with me. My only complaint is that I am not there right now!

Anyway, as I was saying before I rambled on about food and such, I was on my way home today from work when this Jimmy Buffett song came on Margaritaville on Sirius Radio. It was a perfect song to top off my day dreaming. Here are the lyrics.

Dukes On Sunday
written by Henry Kopono and performed by Jimmy Buffett

People here and all over the world
Men, women, boys and pretty girls
Gather 'round by the seaside, Beach fun and tropic skies
Diamond head and palm trees, surf riders on the sea
It's the place to be, it's the place to be
One the beach at Waikiki, that's where you'll find me
Here on the southside, Beach Boys paradise

Duke's on Sunday

Music playing happy songs, everybody gets along
Dancing in the sunshine, groovin' in the good vibe
Down by the sea, good times will set your free
Just you and me, this is the place to be
On the beach at Waikiki, that's where you'll find me
Here on the southside, Beach Boys paradise

Duke's on Sunday

Having fun underneath the sun, just you and me
Feelin' good and feelin' right, sunset is out of sight
Another beautiful Hawaiian day, everything's gonna be ok
Let's get together and do this again
At the beach at Waikiki, that's where you'll find me
Here on the southside, Beach Boys paradise

Duke's on Sunday

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Sounds fun, romantic, and yummy. I love the Pearl Harbor Memorial too. I would love to go again.

Jinky said...

I love Oahu too! I can't wait to go again. I can totally see myself living there but hubby dear won't budge!