Wednesday, August 5, 2009

One Month and Counting!


Precisely one month until USC Trojan Football begins! I am stoked and I can't wait. Unfortunately, I will have to! I hate this time of year. No football, no basketball and no hockey. Nothing worth watching on TV! That's right, baseball fans! I said it! Nothing worth watching on TV!

The latest pre-season poll shows USC as #2 behind #1 Florida. While I admit that pre-season polls are worthless, I would rather see my team ranked high as opposed to not. What I would really like to see is a trip in the "way back machine" and somehow watch USC beat up on those Gators the two years they went to the big dance! The last few years, the countdown to college football also means the countdown to the lame media and marketing hypnotic chants of "the SEC is sooooo dominant"! Is anyone else getting sick of hearing this? I know I am. Believe me, I am no dumby! I know the SEC is amazingly talented and strong. But does anyone else see through this repetitive sales pitch? The PAC TEN does. Their media day posted all kinds of fun facts. I believe I will share some of them.
  • The PAC TEN has the highest bowl winning % of all conferences of all time.
  • Since 2000, The PAC TEN versus the SEC - 10-7
  • Since 2000, The PAC TEN is the only conference to have a winning % against ALL conferences.
  • Since 2000, The PAC TEN is 9-2 in BCS Bowl games.
  • They did all of this with the lowest percentage of non-conference games against 1-AA opponents! (Something the SEC and Big 10, really 11, are famous for)
  • The PAC TEN has more all time team national championships than any other conference with 378, hence, "The Conference of Champions". #2 conference is the Big 10 (really 11) with 200 championships.
Here are some other stats:
  • USC all time versus the SEC - 19-10-1
  • Since 2000, USC versus the SEC - 5-0 with a score of 167-48. The only worse whooping was on the Big Ten (really eleven)!
I hate very few things, but I think Urban Meyer may be one of them. I like the SEC. I love those historic powerhouses like Bama (one of two SEC teams with a winning record against SC), but can do without their whiny, self touting conference.

Bring on some football already!

2 comments:

Ira and Heather said...

I am excited as well for college football, but I hope you prepare yourself for at least one loss this year. No one is going to have a undefeated season this year. I had a dream a saw this year but it didn't tell show me who took home the CHAMPIONSHIP.

ira

Unknown said...

Oh man, is it almost that time of year already???