I love Jazz, not so much the modern jazz, but the soulful, swinging, ragtime, blues and classic jazz of the greats like Duke Ellington, Fats Waller, Count Basie, Buddy Rich, Cab Calloway, Django Reinhardt, BB King, Dizzie Gillespie and more. But there can only be one that tops the list and for me, that would likely be, Satchmo! Louis Armstrong would be celebrating his birthday if he were here today. I thought it would be appropriate to share a few of his more famous quotes.
"If you have to ask what Jazz is, you will never know."
"My whole life, my whole soul, my whole spirit is to blow that horn."
"All music is folk music. I aint never heard no horse sing a song."
"I got a simple rule about everybody. If you don't treat me right, shame on you."
"I felt bad at first. I was like, "What are we doing in Utah? I thought we were going to San Antonio like the National Guard told us. Man, we wound up far away from the South, but I've adjusted and I'm about to start my life over here in Utah."
“I see trees of green........ red roses too
I see ’em bloom..... for me and for you
And I think to myself.... what a wonderful world.
I see skies of blue..... clouds of white
Bright blessed days....dark sacred nights
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world.
The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky
Are also on the faces.....of people ..going by
I see friends shaking hands.....sayin’.. how do you do
They’re really sayin’......I love you.”

Happy Birthday, Louis! I am sure you are making music in heaven playing a duet with Gabriel!
"My whole life, my whole soul, my whole spirit is to blow that horn."
"All music is folk music. I aint never heard no horse sing a song."
"I got a simple rule about everybody. If you don't treat me right, shame on you."
"I felt bad at first. I was like, "What are we doing in Utah? I thought we were going to San Antonio like the National Guard told us. Man, we wound up far away from the South, but I've adjusted and I'm about to start my life over here in Utah."
“I see trees of green........ red roses too
I see ’em bloom..... for me and for you
And I think to myself.... what a wonderful world.
I see skies of blue..... clouds of white
Bright blessed days....dark sacred nights
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world.
The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky
Are also on the faces.....of people ..going by
I see friends shaking hands.....sayin’.. how do you do
They’re really sayin’......I love you.”

Happy Birthday, Louis! I am sure you are making music in heaven playing a duet with Gabriel!

1 comments:
Even though I am your mom I am impressed with your knowledge of a variety of things.
Where did you get such a love of music? Was it the Thursday summer concerts at the Chino City Hall?
Post a Comment