This year, Varsity Team 1151 of American Fork skipped the organized and regimented Scout Camp for a more relaxed and free wheeling camp out at Bear Lake, Utah. The boys seemed to think this trip was more fun than Entrada High Adventure Camp at Moab last year. That really says a lot ...that camp was fun!!!
Nick showing his team spirit ~ Team 1151 Rocks!
Bear Lake was a hoot. The weather was perfect in the day time, but got really crazy at night for some reason. The wind was hellacious the first night. It about destroyed my tent. Eventually, I fell asleep for a couple hours. The next night was even worse! It didn't rain cats and dogs, it rained elephants and rhinos! The rain drops were seriously HUGE!!!! After sitting in a leaky tent for a little while, I felt like I was winning the battle. Well, let's just say I may have won the battle, but the storm won the war. The floor of my tent became a lake and with one gust of wind, the whole tent came down, shattered poles and all. I finally abandoned ship and gathered my wallet, keys and phone and shoved it in my medicine bag, then threw some clothes and the medicine bag in my pillow case. I ran with my pillow and sleeping bag to the Rover.
The Rover was only eight feet away, but by the time I got there, I was soaked from head to toe. After changing into dry clothes, I thought I would call Sarah for some comforting. When I went to grab my phone from my medicine bag, I discovered that my lotion bottle had exploded in the bag and had coated my things with goo! I then proceeded to rub everything from my medicine bag on my legs and arms and then my pillow case. After 45 minutes, I finally got to sleep. Luckily, I got sleep the third night....in a half fallen tent on a wet mattress. Thanks to some Tylenol PM...I didn't care.
My feet at Bear Lake
Rover and the tents
The campground we stayed at was the East Eden State Campground. It was right along the beach, which made it relaxing and fun. Each breakfast, lunch and dinner, one of the guys were assigned a Duty To God assignment for devotional. Most of them came prepared and each of them did a great job. They are good young men. They remind me of the group of guys I grew up with and that is saying so much.
The Scout Trailer and Kitchen Area
The food was great; much better than Entrada. For breakfast we had dutch oven kitchen sink, French Toast and sausage, and muffins with cereal. Lunches were more simple...just sandwiches, chips and cookies. For dinner we had taco salad, and dutch oven enchiladas. The boys did a good job at helping with food prep and clean up. No one complained or shrugged off their responsibilities. I was very impressed with the guys.
Skipping Rocks...the record was 18 by Reece
The boys killed a lot of time skipping rocks. Reece is the rock skipping King! Seriously insane.
Homeowners would pay good money for work like this
In their spare time, the boys made this really professional looking fire pit along with a stone walkway to the lake shore. They also built a stone fire pit in the water. The last night of camp they made a HUGE bon fire. For some reason, I didn't take any pics at night or half as many pics as I did last year.
(Around the table from L to R) Kyle, Bro. Franson, Nate, Trevor, Jared, Nick, David and Reece
We spent plenty of time playing "Oh Heck", spitting sunflower seeds and digging holes in sand.
Trevor, Nick, Nate and Bro. Franson ~ 1151
If you could see their fingers, you would see, from left to right, a 1, another 1, a 5 and another 1.
Did I mention that Team 1151 Rocks?!
Bear Lake was a hoot. The weather was perfect in the day time, but got really crazy at night for some reason. The wind was hellacious the first night. It about destroyed my tent. Eventually, I fell asleep for a couple hours. The next night was even worse! It didn't rain cats and dogs, it rained elephants and rhinos! The rain drops were seriously HUGE!!!! After sitting in a leaky tent for a little while, I felt like I was winning the battle. Well, let's just say I may have won the battle, but the storm won the war. The floor of my tent became a lake and with one gust of wind, the whole tent came down, shattered poles and all. I finally abandoned ship and gathered my wallet, keys and phone and shoved it in my medicine bag, then threw some clothes and the medicine bag in my pillow case. I ran with my pillow and sleeping bag to the Rover.
The Rover was only eight feet away, but by the time I got there, I was soaked from head to toe. After changing into dry clothes, I thought I would call Sarah for some comforting. When I went to grab my phone from my medicine bag, I discovered that my lotion bottle had exploded in the bag and had coated my things with goo! I then proceeded to rub everything from my medicine bag on my legs and arms and then my pillow case. After 45 minutes, I finally got to sleep. Luckily, I got sleep the third night....in a half fallen tent on a wet mattress. Thanks to some Tylenol PM...I didn't care.
The campground we stayed at was the East Eden State Campground. It was right along the beach, which made it relaxing and fun. Each breakfast, lunch and dinner, one of the guys were assigned a Duty To God assignment for devotional. Most of them came prepared and each of them did a great job. They are good young men. They remind me of the group of guys I grew up with and that is saying so much.
The food was great; much better than Entrada. For breakfast we had dutch oven kitchen sink, French Toast and sausage, and muffins with cereal. Lunches were more simple...just sandwiches, chips and cookies. For dinner we had taco salad, and dutch oven enchiladas. The boys did a good job at helping with food prep and clean up. No one complained or shrugged off their responsibilities. I was very impressed with the guys.
The boys killed a lot of time skipping rocks. Reece is the rock skipping King! Seriously insane.
In their spare time, the boys made this really professional looking fire pit along with a stone walkway to the lake shore. They also built a stone fire pit in the water. The last night of camp they made a HUGE bon fire. For some reason, I didn't take any pics at night or half as many pics as I did last year.
We spent plenty of time playing "Oh Heck", spitting sunflower seeds and digging holes in sand.
If you could see their fingers, you would see, from left to right, a 1, another 1, a 5 and another 1.
Did I mention that Team 1151 Rocks?!
There were plenty of sunburns from the last day. The sun finally came out and allowed for some fun in the sun and water.
We went golfing at The Bear Lake Golf Club. It is only a little nine hole course, but very pretty. We broke up into two teams of five and played a scramble. Our team won by two strokes. Everyone did well and had a fun time. I wish they would have let the boys drive the carts.
Bear Lake is know for their raspberry shakes. Amazingly, every place in town laid claim to being the home of the "World Famous Raspberry Shakes". We settled for Quick and Tasty. They did have some great shakes....world famous? I don't know, but they were good. The best part was eating them in a covered wagon. It was busy, as it was Raspberry Days in Garden City, Utah.
The guys found a box of class B uniforms for the Boy Scouts. Most of them didn't fit, as you can see on Jared above. The picture below is the most disturbing.
We had the opportunity to visit Minnetonka Cave in the Carribou-Targhee National Forest in Idaho. It is a mile round trip through a lime stone cave filled with stalagmites and stalactites. It was a cool 40 degrees in the cave and had a total of 488 stair steps.
Kyle was paid $1 by Trevor to lick the handrail all the way up. Disgusting. The rail was slimy and rusty. Not to mention the million people who have touched it! I hope it was worth it, Kyle!
Our group was right up front in the tour of about 30 people. The guys kept flirting with the tour guide, who was an 18 year old student at BYU-I. She mentioned more than once that she was used to taking Boy Scout groups through the cave.
TEAM 1151 ROCKS!!!!
SHISHKABOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11 comments:
Q, you are so lucky to have Reece. I was sad to see him go but I am glad that he's in with you and that it looks like there's actually more than one other teacher (that's not in juvy). Tell him I said hey and hope y'all are having fun.
I will tell him you said hello. He speaks highly of you and Bro. Beefus.
Holy cow! I have a picture of me standing by that exact Minnetonka cave sign when I was about 9 years old.. Glad you guys had a great time!
Hey Brother Trosper,
That trip looks like it was a lot of fun. I am so sad and also so sorry that I wasn't able to go. Tell 'em all in OH that I say "Hi!" Yes, that includes Melanie, too. ;) You guys are so amazing that I can barely think of anything good to say about you. I miss all of you so much. Also tell them that the people here in the Highland 13th Ward are great, but they cannot live up to how awesome all of you in the Orchard Hills Ward are. The statment, "You don't know what you've got 'til its gone," is very true. "I am the gatekeeper of my own destiny. One day, I will have my glory day in the hot sun." -Jack Black/Nacho Libre Sincerely, Conner
Conner, We totally missed you, dude! I didn't know you were not going to come with us until the day before. What is up with that?! Why did you not come with us?! We miss you and your family too. You can always move back. I know a house that is for sale next door to the Tubbs.
so laying out at a beach huh? and i thought we had it good at girls camp - although i wouldn't really trade for the "raining rhinos". And that handrail lick - boys are definitely different than girls.
I never knew I wanted to be a young man so bad! It all looked soo fun! You are the kind of leader they want to hang with! I lost it when I saw you in the small shirt! Hahahahahahah..Especially the caption!
That looks like a blast! Our girls camp had a similar storm experience this year. It just adds to the excitement!
I thought the scouts usually roughed it. That looked a little to relaxing (more like girls camp). I love the pictures, especially of you in that shirt. Please start sporting that around the neighborhood. That would make my day.
OK, I might not have such incredible girl's camp phobia if I thought it was going to turn out like that! Sign me up! I would have just bailed on the whole tent thing and checked in to a Best Western somewhere. Sleeping in rain storms is great character building for the young men but I'm way past wanting the character building stuff...I need cable, a dry bed and room service! :>)
Post a Comment