Saturday, June 14, 2008

To Experience Death Without Sorrow is to Experience Life Without Love

This morning was the funeral of Erik Rudy.  As expected, it was emotional.  I have thought so much about death lately since Ryan and Erik's deaths.  It seems like it is premature at my age to spend so much time contemplating this subject, but I am truly blessed to be provoked to doing so.  I have learned so much from these two guys I didn't know well enough.  The first thing I learned is how important it is to live life well; to treat others the way they should be treated and to live righteously.  We truly do not know when we will be called home.

Emily was not scheduled to speak at the funeral, but she took a few minutes to share her thoughts.  I am so impressed with how strong she is.  Her thoughts were touching and well prepared.  I am sure Erik is proud of her.  President Mitchell spoke briefly.  In his words he asked, "What is more important than having a Father in the home?"  I thought about this a bit, and while I am certain it is important to have a Father in the home, it is more important to have a loving Father in Heaven, one that you can faithfully turn your life over to in times of need.  I am sure Mason and Milo will always wish their father was here, but how blessed are they to have two Father's in Heaven?

Bishop Rich spoke as well.  He is such a great orator.  His words were so succinct and perfect...at least for me.  The first part of his talk focused on the need for opposition, stating that to experience death without sorrow is to experience life without love.  In other words, we sorrow because we love.  His talk was amazing.  I would say one of the best I have ever heard. We are blessed to have the leadership (and their spouses) that we do in our ward.  

Erik you are missed, but you will not be forgotten.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Q I love reading all the things you write. You can somehow put into words what everybody is feeling, and you do it beautifuly. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about Ryan and Erik. Your words have really touched me and helped me to feel comforted.

RobHeidi Family said...

Q,
I agree with all you said. I heard about Bishop Rich's talk and it sounded like I missed something good. I also know that President Mitchell's daughter lost her young husband and that had to put him in a very personal place to say a few meaningful words. Thank you for this entry.