Saturday, June 7, 2008

CANCER SUCKS!!!!!

We were delivered bad news today about our neighbor and member of the ward, Eric Rudy.  18 Months ago he learned he had leukemia.  After a great fight on his part and much love and support from his family, neighbors and friends, he had a bone marrow transplant.  We all moved forward as he showed great signs of progress.  His energy had never reached pre-cancer levels, but he gained his weight back and looked good.  He found out a week or so ago that the cancer was back and in full force.  He is already very ill.  After hearing that he has days to weeks left, he and his wife prayed about their options. Rather than extending his life by a two to three more weeks with chemotherapy, they have opted to go the way of hospice.  He is so young and such a great husband and father.  Please pray for the comfort that he and his family need at this time.  The word is that he likes getting emails and comments on their blog.  You can keep tabs on him at http://www.monkeybumm.blogspot.com .

5 comments:

emily said...

thanks guys.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Yesterday, our ward family and neighborhood gathered in the park behind the Rudy's home to have a picnic in celebration of Erik. We all gathered around 6:30pm. Erik was no where to be found. I had the opportunity to meet and visit with Erik's grandmother. She informed me of Erik's condition and it did not sound great. This really got me down. About half way through the picnic, everyone began clapping as they discovered Erik being wheelchaired to the party. This brought a smile to everyone's face. We quickly learned that Erik was there in body, but it seemed as if he were in body alone. I am so sad for him and Emily and the boys. We all sang songs together, Armies of Helaman and Families Can Be Together Forever. The second song always makes me tear up because it reminds me of my grandfather's funeral. As Erik left, everyone sang God Be With You Till We Meet Again. This really bummed me out. I love the message of the song and it is comforting to know that death will not be a permanent parting from our loved ones, but it is a song that is almost always sung at funerals. I really hoped we had sung a song that was more celebratory of Erik's life. What song? I don't really know....how about For He's a Jolly Good Fellow?! I just hated the fact that everyone already had him in the grave. I admire Emily for her strength. I am sure she has many nights filled with tears and worry, but she appears to be such a strong person for such a small gal. I wish there was a way to make this just a bad dream.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

I just thought of the perfect song we could have sang. It is also a song used at funerals, but seems to me (perhaps just my perception) to be more upbeat. Each Life That Touches Ours For Good.

Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord.
Thou sendest blessings from above
Through words and deeds of those who love.

What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christ-like friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

When such a friend from us departs
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.
For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior's name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness Lord above.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Last night at 11:30pm, Erik left this world. I am sad. Sad for me, for our ward and neighborhood, for Emily and for the boys. I am happy he no longer suffers. I am happy he was a good person and was prepared for death. I am happy and sad. Such a weird thing emotion can be.

Emily left a great blog entry early this morning. I laughed and cried as I read it.

Anonymous said...

Q and Sarah,
Just stopping by to say Hi! I guess like a lot of there people, I am just trying to digest the past week. I'm remembering all of the good Erik brought out in others. There was so much done for his family to bouy them up during their trial and in it all, we benefitted more than I think he did. The time in the park with him that Monday night will be a long lasting memory for me. Having sat on his bed just 2 hours before, telling him goodbye and thinking I would never see him again. Although his body was weak, his spirit was strong and he was aware of what was happening to him and around him. Like you, seeing him make that entrance into the park was great. I hope everyone knows how much strength it took for him to get there. It was something he wanted to do to show thanks for all who supported him. He knew we were there for him and his family. His weak body was full of a strong and fighting spirit. As long as I live I will remember the hug he gave me in the park and the quiet whisper of Thank You.
You guys are always so willing to offer assistance. I know Erik appreciated it.
Thanks for your great examples!
MH