Saturday, March 29, 2008

Ryan Cox! Thanks for the Ride

Ryan Cox at a Neighborhood Fourth of July Party
This morning I had to take the Jeep to Les Schwab. The night before, Sarah had expressed, more than once, how excited she was to sleep in this morning. When I left for Les Schwab, I did not wake her, but decided I would walk home and let her sleep in. It was a cold morning, but I really, really need the exercise and I was determined to get the exercise. I had barely began walking home when my neighbor, Ryan Cox, stopped to see if I needed a ride. I first told him I was getting exercise, but when he asked again, I accepted his offer for a ride. After all, I could always start walking tomorrow. He had his little daughter with him and she was still in her pajamas. They were going to get some donuts. I commented about how cool that was. One of my memories as a child was getting donuts with my Dad on Saturday or Sunday mornings. How cool that she will have those fond memories of her dad. We talked about business and vehicles for a few minutes in his truck while parked in my driveway. I was happy that he gave me a ride home. He is a great guy.
Katie, Zaya and Ryan Cox - Taken December 2007
Around 5pm tonight, Rob Casale, another friend and neighbor texted me looking for the Bishop's phone number. I immediately knew something was wrong. I texted the number, then tried calling him. Rob did not answer. I called Heidi, Rob's husband, because I had a feeling there was something wrong. She did not know anything. Rob called me a few minutes later and informed me that Ryan Cox was dead. My first thought was that Rob was pulling an early April Fool's joke and it made me mad. I did not think that was funny. Now, I wish it had been a joke. Rob and Ryan went to the sand dunes to ride motorcycles and Ryan went over the handlebars, hitting his chest as he flew over. By the time the paramedics arrived, he had passed on. This really sucks. Even hours later, I can't believe it. It really really sucks!

Ryan is a great guy. He is always happy and genuinely pleased to see you. I never heard him say anything bad about anyone. He always lived life to the fullest; motorcycling, off roading, boating, etc. He was the type of guy that was always loyal to who he was. He was not concerned with what people thought about him. He did his own thing and let others do their own things. He was a loving Father and a caring husband. He owned a successful roofing business at an early age and had so much more that he was certain to succeed at. He will be missed by all that knew him and those that didn't will miss out. He was a gem. Mine and Sarah's thoughts go to Katie and their three children.

Thanks for the example, Ryan. Thanks for the friendship. Finally and most recently, thanks for the ride. I am so happy to have those last few precious minutes.
At our neighborhood Christmas Party we locked a room from the inside. Of course,
Ryan was the first to come up with the idea to climb through the ceiling. Of course,
he volunteered to be the climber. Adventurous even at a Christmas party!

15 comments:

Rhett and Jenteal said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. Are you doing ok?

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

We are fine. It has been a bit tough to be reminded how fragile life is. Sarah and I both have shed a few tears. We mostly feel awful for his wife and girls. The girls are all under 5 years old and they will not understand, I am sure. I have also been worried about my friend, Rob, that was with him. I can't imagine how traumatic it would have been to be there. Thanks for your comments.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Why couldn't it have snowed yesterday morning instead?

Sasha said...

I came accross your blog today and I too know Ryan. We are so sad for the loss of this great man. Your story is a great example of who Ryan was.

We were actually just setting up a blog in his memory.
We would love if we could add this picture of Ryan but wanted your permission first.
We are still gathering pics so the site is bare right now but we look forward to reading and sharing stories and pics of Ryans Life.
www.ryancoxmemories.blogspot.com

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Cox, Ryan William
View/Sign Guest Book
Ryan William Cox
Ryan William Cox, 28, of American Fork, passed away tragically, Saturday March 29, 2008 as a result of a motorcycle accident at the Little Sahara Sand Dunes.
Ryan was born April 17, 1979 in American Fork to Michael Ray and Deborah Van Orden Cox. He grew up in Pleasant Grove and graduated from Pleasant Grove High School in 1997. He then served an LDS Mission in the West Indies.
Ryan and Katie DeWitt were married on December 8, 2000 in the Mount Timpanogos Temple. He became the successful business owner of a roofing and construction company. Most importantly he was a devoted father to his three beautiful daughters. He enjoyed life to the fullest and spread that joy to everyone he met. His generous heart and fun loving personality will live on through all those who knew and loved him.
He is survived by his wife Katie: three daughters: Asha McKay, Sage Jane, and Zaya Sue; parents: Michael Ray and Deborah Cox, Pleasant Grove: five siblings: Michael (Aimee) Cox, Pleasant Grove; Karen (Linn) Beck, Mendon, UT; Stephanie (Michael) Kendall, Farmington; Stacey Cox, Pleasant Grove; Justin Cox, Pleasant Grove; grandmother, Jerry Van Orden, Blackfoot, ID; Jackie (Rich) Maxfield, South Ogden; and many loving family and friends.
Friends may call Wednesday evening at the Olpin Family Mortuary 494 South 300 East, Pleasant Grove from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Funeral services will be held Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 11:00 a.m. in the American Fork West Stake Center, 500 North 700 West, American Fork, Utah. An additional viewing will be held at the church one hour prior to services. Interment will be in the American Fork City Cemetery. Condolences may be sent to the family at www.olpinfamilymortuary.com.
Donations can be made at Central Bank to the Ryan Cox Memorial Fund to benefit his wife and children.
Published in the Daily Herald on 4/1/2008.
Notice • Guest Book • Flowers • Charities

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear about losing your friend. What a tragic, terrible thing to happen. He sounds like a wonderful man and I can only imagine he has made a huge impression in your lives. I'm just so sad that someone is suffering with grief.

Tiffany said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss of a friend and those poor girls their father. Big hugs to you and everyone who is hurting at this time!

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

I have always thought Ryan was a great guy, but after attending the funeral, I realize that I only knew the smallest % of how great a guy he was. His funeral was amazing. There were soooo many people in attendance and it was obvious just how much he is loved. The speakers did a great job of presenting an idea of what kind of man Ryan was. I don't recall a time or an event where I laughed and cried more than I did today.

Ryan lived a life by a simple code; be kind to others and have fun. I truly believe he knew how his Heavenly Father expects us to live. His brother, brother in law and best friend gave amazing talks that touched each of us. His brother in law shared a letter that Katie wrote to express her feelings. What a special family. It was an event that you only experience every so often. An event that leaves you thinking. An event that causes you to evaluate your own life. Ryan was truly a great example, and I never really knew how precious he was until today. I can be a better person. I need to be a better person.

I will be a better person and Ryan's death will make the world a better place if I choose to be more like him. I am sure there are many others that will choose to be kinder to others and enjoy life more. Again, thanks, Ryan.

Eliason Family said...

Thanks for your comment on our blog. I was there today with my sweet wife and this has brought so much to think about and appreciate what we have in the moment. I am not one to bring the tears but this hit home for me in so many ways. I have done some real soul searching.
I hope you don;t mind that I copied the Picture you had of Ryan for my blog. I can pull it off if it does bother you. Thanks again for your thought
The Eliason's

Lobdell family said...

I was a classmate of Ryan's. Thanks for posting these stories about him. It brought back a lot of memories.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Our ward and neighborhood is pretty neat. We all get along so well, but after Ryan's death, everyone is treating everyone else even a little bit kinder.

by Cristy Hill said...

I am a friend of Katie's from High School. We danced together for years. I just heard tonight about Ryan. I do not know how to get a hold of her, but will you please pass on my love and support and let her know if she needs anything to please contact me at cristyhill@yahoo.com. Thank you.

by Cristy Hill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Marque, Ryan must have been an amazing person from all that you have said, and everyone's comments.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and for the pain his family must be feeling.

You are a wonderful person who has blessed so many lives and so it isn't a far stretch for you to follow in your friends example.

I love you!

Mom

Amberly said...

I was a friend of Ryan's from school and neighbors of Ryan and Katie before they moved to A.F. You are right...he was a great example to everyone he came in contact with. What a privilege it was to know such an awesome guy! I am forever grateful for his example and like you I want to be a better person...a person like Ryan.
I love what wrote in your comments about the funeral. I was wondering if you would be willing to post it in Ryan's blog? Also, the story about Ryan giving you a ride...Wow! It would be awesome if you would post that as well with some of your pics. Only if you want to. I know his blog means a lot to his family and I know they would appreciate to hear your story. You can contact me if you have any questions through my blog or my email is chipman20@msn.com
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts about Ryan...it means a lot!!