Anytime we go on vacation I immerse myself in the local history and culture. Half of all of our pictures are of architecture that reflects the region we visited. We just returned from Kansas City, Missouri and it is a city filled with history linking the American West with the American East. While you will easily find ties to the Frontier west, jazz, bar-b-que, Civil War, sports and the Mormon migration, you will not find many ties, if any at all to Spain. A visionary designed the Plaza to be the first shopping center to accommodate automobiles. For some reason he chose to model the area after Seville, Spain. It is beautiful. There are mosaics, statues and fountains galore. The most fascinating and admirable traits of the Plaza is the towers. Of course, Seville, Spain is heavily influenced by the Muslim Moores and you can see this in the towers of the Plaza, full of spires and color. Here are a couple photos I took of the colorful towers.
This is the view down 47th street or "Honorary Seville". You can kind of get the idea that there is a tower on every corner.
This isn't a tower, this is stunning Sarah on a camel. They currently have a bunch of these animals out for Easter(?). You can notice one of many fountains in the background. Kansas City has more fountains than any other city in the world with the exception of Rome.If you get the opportunity, visit Kansas City. It is beautiful in the Spring and Fall. Too hot for me in the summer and gloomy in the winter. Be prepared to eat a lot. And if you do that eating at the Plaza...be prepared to pay a lot as well!


1 comments:
I have been to Kansas City and I loved it also. I was only there for a few days but wish I could have stayed longer. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Post a Comment