Sunday, March 2, 2008

Missouri Enjoys Company!

The person that started the company I work for is named Steve. Steve just turned 40. Steve's wife, Kim, threw him a 40th birthday party in Kansas City, Missouri this weekend. She did a phenomenal job. Sarah has already warned me that I should not expect the same caliber party as Kim organized. I doubt Steve will ever see this blog, so I can not be accused of brown nosing. Steve is a dynamic individual. As was apparent at his party, he is very much loved and admired. Kim flew Sarah and I and many others to KC, MO for the big bash. Thank you Kim. I am so grateful for the opportunity to work with and for so many fantastic people; primarily Steve, Phil and Len. There were a handful of very special people in attendance that made the weekend even more fun for me in addition to Steve and Kim, Phil and Shaney, Len and Laurie. There were Boyd and Cheryl, Jay and Shannon, Gordon and Beverly and Darin; just a small sampling of the many people I am fortunate to work with. Thank you Kim for inviting us. Thank you Steve for being a great example of a balanced and successful individual. Thank you Boyd and Cheryl for always welcoming me. Thank you Phil and Len for being such great bosses. Thank you Darin, Jay, Shannon, Gordon and Beverly for hanging with us this weekend and creating many good memories. Let's do Nauvoo soon!
Kim and Steve (the birthday boy)

Us at the Historic Liberty Jail Visitor's Center

We had the opportunity to visit the Historic Liberty Jail while in the KC, MO area. I have been before, but Sarah has not. The jail has been re-fabricated using the original basement floor and some of the original limestone blocks, bars, etc. It is amazing to me that so much great revelation came from such awful circumstances.
Looking down into the dungeon of the Liberty Jail

I love Doctrine & Covenants 121-123. Amazing Scripture. Doctrine & Covenants 122:7-9 ~ And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit , or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he? Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever. amen
Beverly and Gordon at the Historic Liberty Jail

Our good friend, Boyd hosted us out to Far West, MO. This was the site of a town of 5000 Mormon refugees at one time. The locals of course destroyed the town when they chased the saints out in 1838. Joseph Smith had already received a revelation before being chased out that a temple would stand in Far West and that the Twelve Apostles would be sent out into the world from Far West to spread the gospel. This was such an important revelation, that the prophet and the twelve returned in secret to Far West to dedicate the temple site and at that time, the twelve were then sent all over the world to serve the Lord. Doctrine & Covenants 118.

Jay and Shannon at Far West, MO

The four cornerstones have been laid in representation of the Lesser Priesthood, the Higher Priesthood, the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles.
One of the four cornerstones of the Far West temple covered for protection?

We had a fun time....Next trip....NAUVOO!

2 comments:

Casey said...

I loved Liberty Jail too. I was so surprised at the emotion and spirit that I felt there. I was not prepared for it.

Rhett and Jenteal said...

Looks like a fun trip!!