After a long and freezing Winter, Spring is finally here. I am so excited to take the lid off the Jeep and start getting some sun. So excited that I went and lifted the Jeep and put on bigger tires and new wheels. I should have gone another inch higher, but I am a shorty and wanted to keep it reasonable. Let me know what you think.
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Well, I think it looks great but if I know my husband like I think I do, he would say you should've gone higher.
details please for the jeep addicts
Eran, I sent you an email asking for your advice, but I don't know if you got it, so I went on my own. I hope I didn't make a wrong decision. I went with a 2" lift with spacers. Then put on 33" Toyo Open Country MTs and 16" wheels. Do you think I should have gone with a full 3" lift and suspension?
I sent an email and it bounced then I sent it to your email address on your website (hotmail). I was wondering if you got it...
I think 33's are an excellent choice. Did you install it or have some one?
Here it is...
Marque
This is a loaded question... To better answer your question I have a few...
How big of a tire would you like to go?
Most lifted TJ's are on 33/12.50/15. I would not go any larger. I think you have an 05 Rubicon correct? So you probably have a 245/75/16. Going to a 15 inch rim will give you a cheaper tire and more variety but will require new rims. Lifting a jeep and adding bigger tires new rims will most likely be needed due to backspacing issues. The stock wheels don't have enough offset and therefore the tires will rub on the frame with larger tires (anything larger than 10.5). Spacers are a cheaper options but a larger 16 inch tire will be more expensive and there are less options. My 02 had 33's see here with my 05 Rubicon. In comparison the 02 rocker panel was about 5 inches higher. My favorite tire is the B. F. Goodrich AT KO. Its less agressive than the GY MTRs but just as tough and quieter as well as better tread wear.
Is this for looks or to be better off road?
If just for looks I would do a Budget Boost from Old Man Emu. It gives you a lift on a budget but performance isn't the greatest. You can stuff 33's under it but I would stay at a 32" just so you don't rub off road.
Better off road... I would do the Rubicon Express Super Flex but get the 3.5" springs instead. 4.5 introduces a whole new set of problems (read a lot more money)
or TeraFlex 3". Are you planning on installing this yourself? Most people who can change their oil can install these lifts. The only thing is you will want to get it aligned afterwards. If not a few local shops do installs http://www.teraflexplus.com does installs locally as does http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/ Doug Smith Jeep in American Fork also does installs.
If you go 3" or larger I strongly recommend an adjustable track bar and front upper and lower adjustable arms. The rear arms are not as important especially with the longer wheelbase. This will allow you to align you jeep properly and it makes a big difference in drivability. With the extended wheel base I don't think you need any driveline mods or transfer case drop down (usually included in the lift).
Good Jeep Forums. www.jeepsunlimited.com, www.rockymountainextreme.com (local board) or http://www.pirate4x4.com
In the next few weeks I will be lifting my jeep. I am waiting for warmer weather.
Feel free to ask me questions or to post questions to these boards. There are a lot of people with lots of jeep experience.
Eran
Wow, Eran. You sure do know your stuff. Was it a mistake to go with 33's and only a 2" lift with spacers? I did it for looks, as I don't really do any major crawling, but I do off road regularly.
No I think you should be fine with your choice. The bigger tires give you more clearance and allows you not to drag your belly on the rocks. You should have no problem doing most of the trails in Moab.
We should take a trip to Moab and get Kent to come along.
Looks the same to me....JK!! Looks good. Thanks for texting back last night, oh wait, you didn't! Hope you had fun whatever you ended up doing.
Eran - Let's do it. I am certain Kent and Janie would love to come.
Jenny - Sorry. We had some friends ask us, right after texting you, to go to dinner. We left straight away and I left my phone at home. You guys don't like hanging with us anyway.
Mostly just you, I like being with Fina! Hee hee hee! We'll have to plan something one of these nights.
Sure we will. Idle threats. We know how you really feel. Three miles away and you may as well be 3 states away based on how often we see you.
We would love to go down! Lets plan something. Moab is one of our favorite spots to go. The jeep looks awesome.. I love the tires and the 2 inch lift.
I am having issues with it ever since. The alignment is good, but it still pulls to the right HARD. It has been in the shop for the last week, but they can't seem to find the problem. They have tried everything. They took it to the dealership even and they can't find it. It is a reaction to the tires for sure though because with stock tires on it, it doesn't pull. They are going to try a 3" suspension lift and see if that helps. If not, they will just give me my money back and send me on my way. Sucks.
Post a Comment