Friday, July 3, 2009

Money and Employment

Times are tough.  We are constantly being reminded to engage in provident living; to be frugal even if our current situation does not demand it.  I need to do better at that.  The best financial advice I have heard currently in regards to maintaining one's financial stability in this time of upheaval is this, "Keep your job.  Do your best at whatever it is  you do.  Go beyond the call of duty.  Make it impossible, due to your amazing performance, for anyone to fire you or lay you off."  This is sound advice in good and not so good economic times.  It is even more sound now.
  
Last night, an employee was trying to get me to tell them how much money I made.  My comment was this, "I make more than I need.  I would not object to making more.  I am blessed to have this job."  I thought about that statement and realized that this needs to be my reply always...regardless of my income.  I need to always live below my means, always strive to do better and count my blessings in the process.  Therein lies the secret to success in money and happiness.  This is probably not some great break through for the majority that read this post, but for me, it was a nice reminder.  

I have family and friends who are stressed due to finances.  In one instance I told them, in an effort to calm them, "Don't worry so much.  Do what you can.  The worst case scenario is that you will not have a home of your own, you may have to rent or you may not have a job.  (real comforting, eh?) But I promise you that you will always have shelter and you will always have food and most importantly, you will always have your family."  While I hope I never finds myself in this situation, I firmly believe it.  I have often thought we, society, rely too heavily on worldly goods.  Our wants have become our needs, and ultimately, there are few needs; shelter from the elements, sustaining food and water, and love.  There are times that I have felt life would be easier as a minimalist.  I do enjoy the life of comfort...I really do.  I feel, once able to shed my current conditioning, that I would be just as happy or more happy to live in a tent with my family and along with my conditioning, shed the hassles of the world and money.  

I have never considered myself a hippie or a "granola", and I really don't know what they are all about, but I can see why they find happiness in their some of their choices.  I love God and I know he loves me.  I know that so long as I do everything I can to provide for my family without losing sight of what is truly important, He will not only see that my needs are addressed, but will also grant me, at times, financial success to live a more comfortable life and care for those less fortunate.  I don't know where this rambling came from.  Actually, I should be getting ready for the day, but I felt the need to write this.  

I make more than I need.  I would not object to making more.  I am blessed to have my job.

1 comments:

Leslie said...

Great attitude! As a family we are glad you are there to remind us of those things we already know.

These are desperate times for so many people, and we do need to rally around each other. I'm most grateful for my faith, the realization of an eternal perspective and for my wonderful, wonderful family! Other than that the rest is frosting on a great cake.