Roasted pig is a traditional favorite on the weekends.
Fried Food Reigns Supreme in Puerto Rico. Wings, corn sticks, potato balls, empanadas willed with meats and fruits and cheese...all fried and all yummy.
Martin's BBQ is a very popular eating joint in Puerto Rico. I immediately fell in love. It is like El Pollo Loco, but better. I was quick to discover the seasonings they use on their yard bird and bought some to bring home. Great Chicken!!!
Puerto Rican's love to fry food, yet they are all thin. For some reason, I am always more comfortable eating fried food in a foreign country. This is a flauta like thing. Seasoned chicken, beef or shrimp wrapped in a flour tortilla and deep fried. Pineapple soda is a great addition.
Sarah trying to decide among all the good fried vittles at Kiosk #58 at Luquillo Beach.
MMMMM....Octopusses...or is it Octopi???
Jimbo chewing with his mouth open
These were tropical braised short ribs over a cheese risoto
Bistec Embecedello and plantains
A lazy popcorn vendor in Old San Juan
The food in Puerto Rico is not what the ignorant traveler may expect. They are not lovers of spicy food, but they do love flavorful food. They season everything perfectly. They use a garlic, herb and sea salt seasoning. I bought some and plan on using it immediately. They also like breaded and fried food, which is very comforting. My favorite was the empanadas. You can get large empanadas as a meal filled with any meat you can imagine, chicken, ground beef, pork, shrimp, lobster, conch, or other seafood. My favorite empanadas were the miniature filled with guava. If I see another plantain, smashed, fried or plain, I will puke! They eat those with everything!
We ate local every meal but one. We were hungry and decided to just catch something quick on the way back to the resort. We were heading to KFC when I said, "We can eat at KFC at home!" My brother asked our driver, William, where a good local place was. William's accented response was "Popaies". We said "Great!" We drove out of our way to find out it was "Popeyes Chicken". We all laughed and went in to order dinner from "Popaies".
Sarah enjoyed the local fruits, papaya, guava, coconut, mango, etc. Sarah was bummed because there was not one cherry coke to be found on the island. I tried a few local sodas such as Colony Pina and OK Cola Champagne. They were both good. We drank our fair share of Pina Coladas (without alcohol of course). I could seriously live in the tropics and be totally happy. There is something about eating fresh food at a cabana with local music playing, the waves lapping and warm wind blowing. I think I would get nothing done but get bigger.

0 comments:
Post a Comment