Friday, May 30, 2008

Day Two in Sourdough City

An interesting tree on Alcatraz Island
The Indians brought "The Man" to their knees on Alcatraz
The San Francisco Skyline as seen from The cell of the Birdman of Alcatraz...except no bars.
Alcatraz and the Bay Bridge
I thought it was cool that this sign was still up.
On the Hornblower going to Alcatraz
Convict number 1387
Alcatraz was first a bird sanctuary, then a civil war fort and prison, then a federal penitentiary then a gathering place for dissatisfied native Americans and finally a national monument and bird sanctuary.
This is one of the cells that the three prisoners escaped from, never to be seen again.  They dug through the ventilation shaft with spoons
The old Civil war prison bunks
The six painted sisters
Famous Fisherman's Wharf of San Francisco
Ahhh...how cute.

We spent the day with Sarah's Aunt Lisa and her Uncle Tim


Day 2

We spent the day with Tim and Lisa Cornelius.  They live in San Jose, but decided to spend the night so they could hang with us.  Thanks!  We had a blast.  Sarah arranged a double decker bus tour for the four of us.  It rained this day in the morning, but was beautiful weather the rest of the day and weekend.  We saw a lot of the city on this tour, with stops at the Golden Gate bridge, Presidio, Golden Gate Park, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, etc.  We also went to Alcatraz.  We really had a fun time.  There are so many things to take pictures of in the city, but I only put a few on here to give you a taste.  If you have not been, you need to go.

6 comments:

Rhett and Jenteal said...

I love San Francisco!! Did you bring me back some sourdough bread?

eran said...

I too love San Fran... I spent a lot of my youth there with my family. Its probably the big city I have visited most by far in my life.

Some of my favorites spots are the exploritorium or the Steinhart aquarium, free chocolate at Giradeli, Lambard street in spring or San Francisco Museum of Modern Art

eran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I love love love San Fransisco. It's one of my favorite places to visit. Your photos are beautiful! I'm so glad you were able to go!

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

I still have a few photos to post, but thank you for the compliment on the photos I have already posted.

We were excited to go to the Exploritorium and the California Academy of Science, but they were both closed. Surprisingly, Sarah didn't want to go to the MOMA. I think I can get her to go there next time we go.

What a great city to visit.

Wyatt and Tara said...

i am so jealous