Monday, May 19, 2008

Coastin' to Culebra!

Jim and Scott found this old pier on one end of the beach

Flamenco Beach has been rated the #2 most beautiful beach in the world by the Travel Channel
I think Scotty liked this place
I know we liked it.
I fell asleep on the beach, but it was really windy.  By the time I got up, my ear was FILLED with sand.
I found this tank on the other side of the beach.  Evidently the Navy and Air Force used to use this beach for target practice.

I'm too sexy for this tree.

Day 4

This day started WAY too early.  Our limo van picked us up at 6am and we headed to Fajardo which took us 2 and 1/2 hours.  Once in Fajardo, we caught the ferry to the Isle de Culebra.  This is a small island with not a whole lot on it.  We caught a shuttle to Flamenco beach which the Travel Channel has ranked as the second most beautiful beach in the world.  It lived up to it's billing.  It had the softest sand.  It wasn't really sand, as much as it was ground shells.  It was so light and fine.  At one point, I fell asleep on the beach.  It was a little windy and sand got everywhere.  It took several trips to the ocean, pool and shower to rid my hair and skin of the stuff.  

We did a bit of swimming in the ocean and a little snorkeling.  The water was warm and clear.  Samantha fell asleep on the beach while the rest of us went walking.  She regretted it later as she got soooo burned.  Jim and Scott found this beautiful pier and Sarah and I found a couple of tanks.  When we turned the corner, the first thought that entered my mind was "What the Freak?!"  The tank was painted with colorful island type graffiti as well as the letters "WTF?".  I thought that was funny.  

When we first arrived at Flamenco beach, we had some chicken skewers bar-b-qued by a local vendor.  It was good.  The beach has a way of sapping your energy and making you hungry, so on our way back to the ferry terminal we stopped at some local dive for a burger.  There is something about eating at a local joint by the water.  I believe everything tastes better there.  

By the time we got home, we had enough energy to play a card game and eat...again.  This is when we discovered Martin's BBQ.  They are much like El Pollo Loco only better...if you can imagine!  A beautiful day but a long day.  

5 comments:

Kent said...

That is such a good picture of you by that tree. I am using that picture as my computer desktop. It looks Faaabulouss...

Leslie said...

Marque, In the picture by the tree.....is that your nipple showing?????

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

YOU KNOW IT!!!!

Amberlie said...

Marque...You are too SEXY for that tree! LOOOVE IT!!! Jer & I are loving your photography...I could really use some lessons.

RobHeidi Family said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Way too sexy for that tree!!! That tree is still shedding tears missing you! That place is amazing! Just like AF!