Friday, October 30, 2009

Where the Women Instinctively Flock Like the Salmon of Capistrano!

Well, the first day of our vacation as tourists took us to San Juan Capistrano. Of course it wouldn't be a Marque vacation without a visit to some historical or educational location! We visited two missions while we were in So Cal; the first being the Mother of All Missions, San Juan Capistrano ~ established 1776.
Sarah by a sign...a Trosper tradition
Forgive some of these pictures. In addition to history, I also enjoy original architecture.

The missions along the Camino Real helped make California what it is today.
The mission courtyard had such a peaceful and calming effect. You could sit there all day in tranquility.
Leah was pretty good with being pushed around the boring grown-up place.


This was in the soldiers barracks.

They had an informative audio tour that shared the history of the mission as well as more recent memories of those that grew up around the mission.
We ate at Pedro's Taco Shop across the street from the mission. I miss good authentic Mexican food.
The modern cathedral.
Me and Fray Serra who established several of the major missions
This is the modern cathedral designed after the original that fell in an earthquake.
There are not many ruins in the U.S., but this is one of them. The original chapel that fell in an earthquake killing 40+ priests and Indians.

The bells chime regularly now on the hour and half hour, but they used to chime more often to communicate news such as births, deaths, visitors, and etc.

Father Serra and an Indian boy
A well at the Olive tree.
What a sweet angel!



Leah loves riding on her Mom's shoulders
Two cutest girls at the mission.
Father Serra Chapel ~ beautiful artwork on the walls and beams.

A Koi pond.

The Fountain of the Twelve Evangelists.


You can't really tell from this picture, but the brick roof tiles are green from the coastal moisture. It was a very pretty contrast of colors.
What a lucky dude I am, eh?!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Great pictures...I'd really love to visit there.
You are a lucky guy!

Tara said...

I love Mission San Jaun Cap - it's one of my favorites! What a great time of year to visit - it looks beautiful.

Leslie said...

I love visiting these places through your eyes, and your camera lens. You really do capture beauty. I especially liked the one of Sarah and Leah in the arches. Beautiful.

Tiffany said...

Wow Marque-props to you on working that camera!!! Those pics are beautiful! Of course it helps when you have such beautiful things to take pics of-your girls really are beautiful! :)