Saturday, April 24, 2010

Ch..Ch..Ch..Changes!


I have heard it said that the only constant is change, meaning that the only thing that doesn't change is the fact that there will always be change. Last Sunday was a day of changes. I was released from serving in the Meadowbrook Young Single Adult Ward Bishopric after a year and two months. This was met with mixed emotions. My immediate realization was that I get to go to my family ward with Sarah and Leah. but I quickly thought of how sometimes you truly don't realize what you have until it is taken from you. I quickly came to the realization that I could have done better. I could have done more. I could have involved myself more and made myself more available. It was a thorough pleasure getting to know many of the young people in my area. If there is one thing I realize, it is how important these people are! Not to quote Whitney Houston, but "I believe the children are our future". Of course the YSA's are not children, but they are indeed the future. I worry that some don't realize this burden lay on their shoulders. I worry that they have not bought into this concept and therefore will realize later in life when much good could have been done in the meantime. I also am so proud of many of them that have already proven they understand just how important they are and have aligned their decisions and plans accordingly. I cannot say enough along these lines. It was a pleasure serving with these young people and, while I realize they may not see things this way, I hope they forgive me for not giving more of myself to this calling when I could have.

Brad Myler saw potential in me and I am grateful for the things I have learned from him. He is a worthy example to follow and I am the better for having worked with him in this capacity. As I learned that they would be replacing the Bishop and counselors, I was saddened that I would not have their association any longer and would have to move along with the new team...at least for a transitional period. This turned out to not be the case. I too was released and replaced. While I enjoyed working with him and Jon Welch and Justen Nadauld and the YSAs, I always had a nagging annoyance in part of me that I was not in the ward I loved, The Orchard Hills Ward. What a great ward with a wonderful Bishop and Bishopric! Sarah and I are truly blessed to be associated with such a great group of faithful people. Having lived in several awesome wards, and one of those wards being the Amazing Chino III ward, I know how a ward should be and how important a role it can play in my life. With that said, the Orchard Hills ward is simply put, the best ward I have lived in since the old Chino III. I was sad that the Meadowbrook calling came to an end, but I was ecstatic to be back in the Orchard Hills presence. O-Hills Rocks!

The next change that occurred that same weekend was that I was called to serve as the Elder's Quorum President of the Orchard Hills Ward. This is an overwhelming calling simply when recalling how many very capable men are in the ward! It is humbling and exciting all at once. I am so blessed to gain this experience and in such a functional ward. I think serving as EQP in the O-Hills is like first drinking milk compared to the eating of meat that would be serving as EQP in most any other ward. Again, there are so many good people willing to serve and give of their time, love and resources to those around them. This ward has faced only a few trials, but they have faced them in the most perfect way possible and have proven they have the true love of Christ in them.

I can name several brethren that would do a much better job than me so this is humbling, but at the same time, I know it is I that am needed at this time in this role at this place. I can't explain it effectively enough, but as I was given the keys for this calling, I completely knew God knew me. He knows me strengths, talents and character. He also knows my weaknesses, sins and shortcomings. I know that he loves me regardless and know he will make those shortcomings disappear and make my weaknesses strengths as I make myself available to him and others in this calling. I am already surrounded with great families in the ward and have surrounded myself further with great men in the presidency. I look forward to working with them.

1 comments:

Leslie said...

As your Heavenly Father knows your strengths, so does your earthly mother.

I have felt the mantle you are speaking of, and it is amazing isn't it? Now you are not just Marque Trosper, you are Marque Trosper, Elders Quorum President.

You will have the discernment, love and capability to bless those in your ward.