Okay, that title may be a far stretch at comedy (reference to Jan of the Brady Bunch who is sick of hearing about Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!), but is anyone else tired of hearing about the recession?! At some point, we all need to stop talking and start doing. The tough thing is, most don't know what to do which leaves us all in a panic as we start ratholing our money. Ignorance in dealing with money can hurt the economy when times are bad, just as we have seen ignorance in dealing with money can hurt the economy when times are good. We need to learn from our mistakes and make conscience efforts to avoid using credit, live within our means and to save money; to live more like our wiser and older Grandparents. In the meantime, our panicked and doomsday dialogue is not helping. It adds to the already gloomy outlook of the day and keeps consumers from spending anything at all. People, there is a happy medium. Why must we all live in extremes?! There is plenty of good to speak of in the world. There are many countries that are far worse off than we. If we choose to be optimistic and then couple that optimism with wise and limited spending, we will eventually see the light at the end of the tunnel and we will be the better for having spent a short time in the dark.
I have always thrived on balance. I am not condoning the sitting upon the proverbial fence, for we know it is not good to be neither hot nor cold, but luke warm and spat out. I am, however, saying there is a way to live within our means and still enjoy many luxuries and blessings of the well lived. Like most things, the extreme stance on either side of an argument will likely prove to be wrong. You want to live in the world, but not of the world. In other words, there is no need to purchase the many things we purchase to impress the many people we likely do not care for! Equally, there is no need to sell everything we own and live like hobos for the sake of shunning the material man. I recall my Stake President in Chino, President Gary Galbraith...he did quite well, if I remember correctly. I believe he was quite successful in the arena of neurology and held several prestigious positions. I could be wrong, but I think he made good money. With that in mind, I was always so impressed that he drove this beat up Datsun B210. He, in my mind, had it figured out.
This principle of balance does not only apply in matters of money, but in all aspects of life. To be successful in business or the arts or athletics is a wonderful thing, but be mindful of the expense and always, always know where your priorities lay. I have proven to be quite hypocritical by stating these thoughts. And like most who preach to the masses, I suppose I too am a hypocrite. I am trying though, and I believe I do better than many, but there are so many more that impress me and motivate me to do better; to serve more, and to attempt to leave some kind of legacy behind that influences this world for good. If I can't figure that out, I am going to buy a nice $165,000 HUMVEE!!! Just kidding.
I apologize for the rant. Truthfully, I sat down to record my thoughts about the recession and discuss this list of companies that will likely be out of business within a year (Chrysler, BlockBuster, Rite Aid, Six Flags, Krispy Kreme and Trump....again), but it turned into this. So sorry. Friends, find happiness where you are and allow the things of the world to add to that happiness. Do not look for happiness in those things, or you will quite possibly find sadness in their absence. Good night.
7 comments:
There is one area that Sarah and I need to definitely work towards finding a balance and that is in our television consumption. I believe we watch way too much TV. Bishop Rich spoke about this on Sunday, but unfortunately we were late for church.
Sounds like you're off the hook then?? :0)
PS. so you still don't like us and won't visit our blog anymore??.. What did we do? :-(
Deena, Send me an invite again. I don't remember getting one yet. mtrosper@pmidirect.com .
Moderation in all things? What? All I know is that living within my means has made it possible to save more money and now when prices are good and getting better buy a few things all without credit.
Perfect! I love it, Eran!
My priority was always my kids...and I probably never lived within my means where they were concerned. But I always paid my debt, on time, and kept a good credit rating. I think we have to do better than just living within our means. We always did, but then sometimes the "means" changes and all the sudden the house of the cards threatens to tumble. I would like to live with an 8 month supply of money but that just seems like a pipe dream. I am working toward with that goal in mind however. Much easier when I am the only one to depend on. I am free of debt....except for the new BMW I bought in a crazy impulsive moment.
Yeah Leslie, One crazy impulsive moment your whole life! I waited until I was 50 to get a credit card then decided I didn't like them and got most of them paid off. The thing that did it for me was adding up how much was paid on interest in one month then multiplied by 12. Gag - Choke - Choke. I'm giving THAT away for WHAT! ?!?
Post a Comment