Yesterday was my birthday. It was a good day. I am not much of a birthday kind of guy. I prefer to keep the fact to myself , but appreciate the occasional birthday wish from those that have a better memory than I. I always feel bad because birthdays just have never meant that much to me and I understand they do to others....for instance, my wife! Sarah loves birthdays. My lack of enthusiasm for birthdays is a serious cramp in her happiness. We have learned to compromise though. She let's me celebrate my birthday with Joshua, her brother, who is also a February birthday. This was of course a compromise that included a commitment to a huge 40th birthday party next year. I think we settled on an 80's theme party. Should be fun...as long as there are no presents.
The day started well. I fed Leah, which I enjoy doing, while Sarah made Dutch Babies (German Pancakes) and homemade buttermilk syrup. MMMMMM! I went to work where I found my desk decorated in crepe paper and a "Happy Birthday" sign, which was done by two of my awesome customer service reps. There was also a cake from one of my resolution agents! I truly love those I work with. It is unfortunate my birthday fell on a Thursday this year. Thursday is my busiest day of the week. Thanks Shanna, Paloma and Greg for making me feel special. I also received many kind words via email and IM from several others at work. I get the feeling someone knew it was my birthday and shared the info with others.
When Sarah asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I replied, "Bring Leah into see me, since I don't typically get a chance to leave for lunch". She brought Leah in and I enjoyed showing her off around the office. She is such a cute and happy little girl and everyone loves to see her. Sarah also brought some goodies for the teams to snack on. When I got home, Sarah was making me dinner, Rib Eye Steak and Potatoes Au Gratin. Double MMMMMM!!! It was a great meal. In the family room was a table and chair set up that had several balloons and crepe paper decorating the area. There was a big sign that read "Welcome to Hoopla Birthday Spa!" There was an array of lotions and oils as well as a foot spa and hot wax. The spa menu read,
HOOPLAH BIRTHDAY SPA
Now Offering:
Marque's Late 30's Special
Party Hat Heaven
~ A minty scalp treatment complete with bristly massage
The Manly Manicure
~"Does this color make me look Metro?" Not on your birthday!!!
Aging Feet Soak and Scrub
~Soak til you sing, "Happy Birthday to me"
Bonus: The smoothness will last longer than the 36 hours of labor your mother went through
Wishing Wax
~For hands and feet it's the frosting on the cake. Burns like 1,000 birthday candles, but it's so worth it!
It was a relaxing night to say the least. Leah slept the entire time allowing Sarah to pamper me way more than I deserved. Don't I have the coolest wife ever?! She loves me so much to do all this, (though I believe the pedicure was really for her benefit). I took pictures of all of this, but have not found the energy to upload the photos. OH! I almost forgot. Sarah made me a cool blanket and bought me the Best of Billy Idol for me to listen to during my spa treatment. Leah bought me some chocolate and gave me a card that had a baby alligator on the back of a bigger alligator and read, "Know what's terrific about having a Dad like you? EVERYTHING! I hope your birthday is very fun and relaxing. Here's something to enjoy at your spa. I love you, Dad! You are sooo wonderful! Lots of love, Leah". Of course, Leah is advanced, but not that advanced. Sarah obviously wrote the card, but being the big boob that I am, a tear welled in my eye. I hope Leah really loves me at least half as much as I love her.
Thank you to all my Facebook friends that left over 70 well wishes for my birthday. That made me feel good. I truly am blessed. And I truly feel like I am getting old. 39!!! That is one year from 40!!!! Of course, I act like I am 21 and I don't plan on changing that. I do feel old though. I know some of that is due to my weight, but I seem to let winter weather get the best of me and my illness. It has been particularly tough this year. I am so tired all the time. I can sleep anytime and anywhere regardless of how much rest and sleep I receive. I try not to give into it, but sometimes I don't do so well. I need to try harder. I hate feeling lazy. It is so not me.
Here are a few interesting facts I found about my birthday:
- I share the same birthday as Roger Staubach, Hank Aaron, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Bobby Brown, Don Cherry and Tim Meadows.
- Pompei was destroyed by volcano on this day.
- Roger Williams immigrated to Boston.
- The Mexican Constitution is adopted.
- "I Want You Back" by The Jackson 5 topped the singles chart.
- Bonanza was the #1 television show on air.
- Led Zeppelin II by Led Zeppelin topped the album chart.
- "Patton" won the Oscar for Best Picture.
All in all, February 5th has been a pretty uneventful day since the beginning of time. You know you are scraping the bottom of the barrel when you choose to mention, Bobby Brown! Well, I love you all and I hope my 39th year proves to be the best yet. I am so blessed already...I can hardly wait to experience what my Heavenly Father has in store for me now.




10 comments:
Happy Birthday!!
Happy Birthday Marq! You can guarantee that Leah loves you just as much.. She is truly blessed to have a Daddy so great!!!
Cheers! Now go have an O'Doul's and maybe do a session! :0)
Happy Birthday Q. You sure have a wonderful and creative wife, but I'm sure you already know that.
Deena...shhhhhhhh...we don't want that story getting out!
Natalie, Sarah is awesome, I do know it, but I want everyone else to know it too.
Happy Birthday Marqe. you can always count your birthday like Jason does. You are now 29 for the 11th time.
Sarah, you have got to be the most creative person I have ever known to come up with all those "spa" treatments for your guy.
Happy Birthday Q
Lyn & Ray
Sorry, but it still makes me laugh.. Lips sealed!
Sarah certainly is wonderful and creative. I don't know why you don't make a big deal of birthdays, cuz we always did.
Sarah, it wasn't 36 hours of labor it was 21, but all well worth it.
Deena, enquiring minds want to know.
Sorry Leslie, I've been sworn to secrecy....
Your wife is way too cute-I might need to steal some of her ideas for Valentines day-too sweet! Happy Birthday old man (you're not that old, I'm just that young!hee hee!)
Happy Birthday Marque,
I knew you were going to be the best dad and Leah proved it.
Post a Comment