I have often heard that a glass of wine a day is good for you. I have never had any heartburn with this comment. I don't drink, but it makes sense to me that all things in moderation have the possibility of being beneficial. Of course, most that drink, indulge more than just one glass. I watched a short blurb on Good Morning America this morning that dispels this myth...for women. Men metabolize alcohol differently than women. Apparently any alcohol consumption in women increases their chance of cancer significantly. I guess significantly would depend on how much you like alcohol and how much you dislike cancer, but none the less, women who consume alcohol are at higher risk of getting cancer, specifically, breast, rectal and liver cancers.
1.3 million women in Britain (whose drinking habits are parallel with those of American women) were involved in this research. The average woman drank one glass of alcohol a day. Of the population of Britain, 13% of breast, rectal and liver cancers in women were caused by alcohol consumption. The study does not dispel the fact that a glass of wine a day (mainly due to the antioxidants found in grapes) is good for your heart and a glass of dark liquor a day is good for your mind, but researchers follow those discoveries with the statement that EVERYTHING you put in your body will have their positive and negative effects.
3 comments:
I'm so glad to know this because I was thinking maybe I should start drinking a glass of wine each day. Doesn't it sound good for breakfast?
"I guess significantly would depend on how much you like alcohol and how much you dislike cancer,"
That cracked me up!
That theory was true with my Mom!
Oh Yummy, Wine and cereal, sounds delish!
When I was pregnate and anemic the doctor had me drink 2oz of red wine a night (around a quarter cup) and I am incline to agree with a friend who had become a quadraplegic in his 20's whose doctor prescribed two bottles of beer a day (to get his urine flowing) He said "You know I have always liked beer, but when it goes from fun to medicine, I just don't care that much for it that much any more."
Post a Comment