I don't mean to sound morbid here, but death has been on my mind from time to time over the last two years. This is likely directly related to the deaths of two neighbors and friends who passed on at way too young of an age. Ryan and Erik are truly missed by their families, friends and neighbors, but their deaths, as well as their great lives and examples, have had a great impact on me. Their deaths have caused me to reflect on the possibility (or inevitability) of my own death. Of course, my concern, much like theirs, would be that of the well-being of my family, specifically, Sarah and Leah. I immediately had a trust established as well as a living will and testimony. I renewed my journal writing and picture cataloging. I now save more money with their futures in mind.
I don't know if this is dorky or not, but I have included in my last will a few things I would prefer to happen at my passing or at my funeral. I will request that my family and friends each plant a tree. Not so much in my memory, but I figure if I can cause a little good in the world on my way out, I may as well take advantage of the opportunity. The world needs more trees and I have always found them beautiful. I also request that Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" be played in some form at my funeral. Also at my funeral should be a piper. After all, what is a good Scottish Funeral without a piper?! My tombstone will also bear the Rampant Lion.
Anyway, just for kicks and giggles, I searched for whacky last requests and here is a short list of last requests that make mine look absolutely normal.
- Angel Pantoja wanted to be standing at his own funeral.
- Leona Helmsley left $12 million to her dog, Trouble.
- Samuel Bratt left roughly 3/4 of a million dollars to his wife with the stipulation that she must smoke 5 cigars a day.
- TM Zink left all his money to build a library that excluded female authors.
- Gene Rodenberry requested that he be cremated and scattered in space.
- Jack Benny arranged to have one rose a day to be sent to his wife after his passing.
- William Shakespeare left to his wife, Anne Hatheway, his second best bed.
- Charles Dickens required that funeral attendees were free from scarves, cloaks, black bows, long hatbands and other such revolting absurdities".
- Thomas Jefferson demanded that his daughter wear no jewelry.
- Harry Houdini willed that his wife hold an annual seance so that he could reveal himself to her.
- The last wish of Napolean Bonaparte was that his head would be shorn and his hair shared among his friends.
- John Bowman arranged that a dinner would be prepared every night after his death just in case he came back to life.
While it may be an unpleasant thought, it is important to consider these things as it will be your final influence upon the world and your last opportunity to complete unfinished business. Other things to consider are your wishes concerning your family, wealth, organs, etc. These things should not be left to the determination of our government, but to ourselves and our loved ones. With such preparations made, let's hope it was all in vain. Nevertheless, I subscribe to the thought that it is better to be safe than to be sorry. Then I truly could rest in peace.

4 comments:
I'm just glad you didn't request "Another one Bites the Dust" to be played at your funeral like I have! :-)
Wow, you have thought about this more than I have. I do know though that I want my funeral to be mostly music. Music says so much.
You realize you're now going to live 109 years?! ~What a loving and smart spouse and dad you are for putting this to action ... not morbid at all.
I want "Spirit in the Sky" to be played at my funeral and for that matter, I don't want a funeral. I want a huge party to celebrate my death. I figure if I donate my body to science and don't pay for the cost of casket and all the other junk that goes with it, it should be a pretty big shindig. So maybe I can hire Sarah to plan the whole thing because I want a great party. And no, I am not kidding about it either.
Post a Comment