We love to travel. To us, a big part of vacationing is eating good food and trying new eateries. Having been to Hawaii several times, it was fun to both eat at favorite eateries and try new places too. We were relied on from time to time by the others in our group for suggestions where we should eat and what they should try. For the most part, every suggestion was well received and the feedback was very positive! We did try one new place that was a swing and a miss and that was Buzz's Original Steakhouse in Kailua. Of course, this was at the suggestion of a few, but I am not sure if they had really been there before. The internet gave the establishment rave reviews, but I was not terribly impressed. I didn't think it was bad. It was good, but for $90 for the two of us, I simply expected more and couldn't understand how it was rated above Ruth's Chris and other steakhouses on the island that were much better. It reminded me of the small steakhouse where I grew up in Chino called "Steer 'n Stein". Again, good, but not as good as it was touted and cost. Other than that good, but still disappointing dinner, everywhere else was extremely ONOLICIOUS!!! Here are a few photos of our culinary experiences.
Our first dinner and our last dinner in paradise were had at "Lulu's Waikiki Surf Club". We love this place. It is always fun and tasty. It is owned by Frank Leahy who used to coach the Notre Dame Irish football team. We met him on our first visit and he treated us like we were family. We have come back every time and sent many more to visit. Of course, the food is delish! I was disappointed to find that they took the Kalbi Ribs off the menu, but the Blackened Rib Eye, Ahi Poke, Steak Quesadilla, Coconut Shrimp and salads were very much ONO! Much mahalo, Frank for the great meals. The entire group loved your establishment so much so that they chose to eat there a second time before we left.
Don't let this pic discourage you of visiting Lulu's Surfclub. It is a great place. Fun surf decor, great live Hawaiian music, open setting overlooking Waikiki beach and a filling and tasty menu.
Sadly enough, the only place we had fresh pineapple was at Germaine's Luau. We bought some pineapple spears at Costco, but none fresh from the plant. I found that weird and disturbing.
Sarah and I tried a little hole in the wall called Jackie's Onolicious Vietnamese/Hawaiian Food. It was quite tasty, especially the ribs. They also had Cherry Crush which we had never heard of before.
I had ribs and rice with sweet bbq sauce and Sarah had the kahlua pig and Laulau chicken. Kahlua pig for those that may not know is pig cooked in an Imu or underground steam oven. Laulau chicken is wrapped in laulau (or banana leaves) and steamed.
In Kailua we went with everyone to Lucy's Grill and Bar. It was highly suggested by someone. It too was much like Buzz's...not bad but also not great...just okay.
I got the early bird special which was ribs (good), garlic chicken (yuck), and Kaulua WonTons (great). Sarah also had that.
This was the Ahi Tower appetizer.
As we dined, we noticed the picture behind the Fransons (Jenny is pointing to it) and it turns out we were sitting in the exact same table that President Obama sat at a month earlier. Apparently he also had the Ahi Tower and a rib eye steak. The Hawaiians claim him as their native son and are quite proud of his presidency. It was kind of an eye opener to see that there are many that love this man. Very few appreciate him here in Utah.
This is the close up of placque of President Obama.
We tried several shave ice places. We tried them with Azuki beans, tapioca pearls and sweetened condensed milk. After much deliberation we decided that the top shave ice joint on Oahu is Puka Dog and they won hands down!

This place was no big deal, but we stopped there because we had heard that they were going to close the plantation. Also, Sarah wanted a Dole Pineapple Whip Cone!

Suggested by all the locals, was Boot's and Kimo's and it lived up to the hype for one reason alone....Macadamia Nut Sauce!!! You can see the excitement on Eric's face as he anticipates the creamy goodness that is Mac Sauce!
Notice the full plate of food in front of Andra. Even still, she had to have some of Brian's Mac Sauce!

Aloha Soy Sauce...the best Soy Sauce in the world.

Waffle with Mac Sauce and some Hawaiian Style Sausage. MMMMMMMMM!!!
Sarah tried, at three different times, the banana pancakes, pancakes and french toast, all with Macadamia Nut Sauce. She loves the sauce!

But it makes her sad when it is gone.

Got Mac Sauce?! Sarah found some residue of Mac Sauce left on her plate.
Boot's and Kimo's in Kailua! A must hit joint for the Macadamia Nut Sauce.
Sarah and her Matsumoto's Shave Ice. She got Azuki beans in hers and we both agree it is gross...even to look at.
While this was not our favorite shave ice, I don't believe I have ever had a shave ice I regretted and all shave ice tastes better with sand between your toes. Matsumoto's is a landmark and still a must visit if in Haleiwa Town.
Chocolate Haupia Cream Pie.....MMMMMMMMMM!!!
Ted's Bakery on the North Shore has some ice cold milk and some great chocolate haupia pie
We went on a dinner cruise with everyone. Sarah and I went on this same dinner cruise on our honeymoon. We remembered the food being fantastic, but I think this was before we became foodies. It was just okay. The cruise was still a hoot as we watched whales as well and enjoyed good company.
No trip to Oahu would be complete with at least two visits to Leonard's bakery for some of their amazing Malasada Puffs. If you go, you have to get the haupia (coconut) and the flavor of the month. They used to sell all the flavors, but now you only have the choice of custard, haupia and dobash (chocolate) with one flavor of the month. This month it was lilikoi (passionfruit custard) which was OFF THE HOOK!!!
They are only good fresh so don't purchase more than you can eat at the time.
Again, everything tastes better with sand between your toes. Even Malasadas somehow taste better on the beach.
Happy Malasada day! If you go, plan on waiting in line for a few minutes.

PUKA DOG!!!!! I saw this place on "Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations". This was such a hit with us and the rest of the group as most ate there two to three times. What a great concept and experience.

Sarah had the spicy Puka Dog with Mango relish with Lilikoi mustard the first time and then next time switched it up with Papaya relish with Guava mustard the second time. I had a mild Puka dog with Pineapple relish and Lilikoi mustard the first go round and then Coconut relish with Guava mustard the second time. Both were delish! We met the owner who happened to stop by and chatted for some time with her. Could this be what I should be doing with my time????
The shave ice at Puka Dog was so superior to the rest. The ice was shaved so fine and the flavors were made with real juices which seemed to make a huge difference to us.


Puka Dog = Aloha!

Well, we hope our culinary tour around Oahu was good for you to read about. My mouth is watering just writing about it. I can't wait to go back. The laid back, "no-worries" attitude about the culture seemed to make everything taste better. Mahalo Nui Loa, Hawaii for the good eats.
4 comments:
Wow! Everything looked tasty. Is it possible to gain 10 lbs. just from looking at the pictures? I think I just did. YUMMMMMY!
You're making me hungry.
I ate at Buzz's before. At the time I ate there it was one of the best place I've ever eaten. Boyd, the girls and I loved it. I was even tempted to have them ship me a key lime pie. To do this day I have not had one that rivaled it.
That's a bummer it wasn't so good for you guys.
Cheryl, like I said, Buzz's wasn't bad, it just wasn't as great as everyone else said it would be. We did have the key lime pie. Same verdict from me. It was good, but a little tart. Not the best I have ever had. It is always important that we all remember that we have different tastes. It is also important to remember that my tastes are the correct tastes. HAHA! Just kidding.
Cheryl, like I said, Buzz's wasn't bad, it just wasn't as great as everyone else said it would be. We did have the key lime pie. Same verdict from me. It was good, but a little tart. Not the best I have ever had. It is always important that we all remember that we have different tastes. It is also important to remember that my tastes are the correct tastes. HAHA! Just kidding.
Post a Comment