Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thanksgiving...Better Late Than Never!

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of year. You often hear suggestions that we should extend the feelings and good tidings of Christmas throughout the year. While I whole heartedly agree, I also believe we need to do the same for Thanksgiving. What do I mean by this? I think there should be football all year long! HAHA! Just kidding. Although that would be sweet. I have always tried to live my life in a manner that shows my God how appreciative I am for that which I have been blessed with. I sincerely believe I will continue to be blessed and will never go without so long as I show that gratitude in all I say and do; to never take even the smallest blessing for granted. Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of year that causes us to reflect on those blessings, even if for a moment.

This blog has been interrupted to bring you this apologetic announcement. The owner and writer of this blog would like to apologize to the two readers that faithfully follow it. Due to travel, work, illness and over all Winter aches, we have not entered a blog entry as of late. For this we are extremely apologetic. We would also like to thank our two readers for expressing their woes, as it was a nice message to receive that someone still found us interesting. We now return to our regular broadcasted blog.

This year we headed to Southern California for the holiday. I love Thanksgiving in Southern California, specifically where I grew up. The mornings are crisp and cool, with the smell of farms and dairies (I know many can't embrace that). The skies are clear and void of smog which allow you to enjoy the beauty of the mountains and the temperature is 75 by noon! What a great place to be! Now if every day in So Cal were like Thanksgiving, (no smog and no traffic), I would still be living there today.

Scott and Cynthia opened their home to us. They just got married in August and bought a beautiful HUGE house and were anxious to share it with everyone. Cynthia put much time and thought into the holiday which helped to make it extra special. Here are just a few photos to give you a taste of what a fun holiday it was.
There was soooooo much food. Six different appetizers, drinks, turkey, pork loin, soup, at least seven different sides and five different desserts. It was ridiculous. Of course, most of the things I didn't touch...veggies! YUCK! HAHA! But I am always so happy at their arrival because they reflect on the traditions that help to make the holiday great. Even though I would never touch a yam, I realize it just would not be Thanksgiving without them in the spread!
Cynthia did most of the work, but everyone pitched in with their favorite dishes. Sarah thinks I would have liked this dish of apples and sweet potatoes, because the sweet potatoes tasted like apples! I didn't even try it!
Scott made the turkey, which he and Cynthia had butchered the day before. It was interesting as we had to do some plucking and such. Sometimes you just don't want to know where food comes from. He also made a great Pork Tenderloin with a parsley sauce. MMMMMM!
The Trosper boys like to cook and eat!
When my family gets together we always have fun and enjoy eachother's company. We don't need much planned. We talk. We eat. We play games. We watch football. We just enjoy.
Here is Samantha enjoying a day off work! The first of many!
Scott and Hailey Leilani. I don't know what that look on her face is, but chances are she is talking about Twilight...more specifically, Taylor Lautner.
Jim enjoying a cool frosty beverage on this day of thanks. (Nice cholo shirt, essay!)
Here is Sarah getting her picture taken with her imaginary friend.
Cynthia created some fun games for us to play while the food was cooking. They all revolved around things we were each thankful for based on surveys she had us fill out. It was fun and I learned I may not know as much about my family as I thought. I do know that my Dad's answers were one word and my Mom's answers were one chapter.
Wonderful (pregnant) Cynthia planning the day with accurate precision.
My contribution was the bacon explosion which was received, as expected, with applause and affection by the Trosper boys. We LOVEs us some bacon!
The whole famn damily (with the exception of me. I was taking the pic).
Scott made a homemade butternut squash soup to start things off.
Our typical self portrait
Cynthia made place cards for everyone. I noticed Hailey's was outside. I wonder what message was being sent there?
The whole famn damily except for Jim and Dad. Jim was taking the pic and Dad was likely in the bathroom. Some things never change!
The happy host and hostess.
Leah had a blast!
Okay, some of the following pics may be construed as tasteless or pornographic to those with dirty minds. Cynthia had us play a game called Turkey Waddle. It was fun and funny. We had to place a Yam between our knees and walk to a point and back. The losing team had to do the dishes after dinner. We should not have lost, but due to someone's inability to waddle, we lost. I don't want to mention names, but the name starts with H and ends with ailey!

This was my team, Me, Hailey and Jimbo. We didn't make Leah do it.
Samantha got stuck with the old people. HAHA. I mean young guns.
This ended up being the winning team, Scooter, Madyson and Sarah.
Scott and Cynthia have not yet landscaped their backyard, but it is HUGE!!! I wish our backyard was that big so we could have a pool.
Sarah had an entertaining and effective form.
I am the type to think out of the box. It sometimes gets me in trouble, but often helps me to be a more efficient me.
Jim and Sam
Well, I am thankful for many things, this little monkey for one. I have been so blessed with an amazing family as well as all my in-laws. These people are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to that which I have been blessed with. I am sooooo grateful and look forward to the rest of my blessed life every day. I hope your Thanksgiving was as great as mine!

3 comments:

Lyn said...

Oh my goodness! I can finally take a breath! Thanks for posting that Q. I really enjoy your blogs and do look forward to reading them. I'm glad you had such a great Thanksgiving, now to find out about your trip. Love ya

Lyn said...

Now if we can get your mom and the rest of your family to up date their blogs I would be a happy camper.

Leslie said...

This was great! I feel like I had my fix. I'm thankful for having such a great and generous son, and that you have an incredible wife, and precious little girl. I'm especially grateful that you make such an effort to be with us. It is so amazing to have the whole family together!