Friday, December 25, 2009

God Bless Us Everyone!

We wish you a Merry Christmas,
We wish you a Merry Christmas,
We wish you a Merry Christmas
And a Happy New Year!

Wow! For someone who had a hard time getting into the spirit of Christmas, I sure dove in head first this week! We first celebrated with Molly and Duane Reed as we went to the Conference Center Concert with Natalie Cole. This was an amazing show in an amazing venue. We took Trax into Salt Lake City and back again. Sorry I don't have any pictures of that wonderful night. We figured the boys would like it so we made plans to do it again; this time to see the temple square lights. We then celebrated at work and that was fun, though I have no pictures of that either. I received some great gifts from my employees which was way too much. Even though I don't need gifts, it was nice of those that gave me gifts to let me know I was appreciated. Simply awesome. I work with the best people.
Of course, we should never forget that Jesus is the reason for the season. Every year I get more disgusted with society and even myself as we tend to get sucked into the commercialism of the holiday. Every year I have thoughts of abandoning the holiday altogether. I would never do that of course as I realize that the spirit of giving, even if misguided, misdirected or mismanaged, is still a good thing. Nonetheless, it is important to reflect on the purpose of the season, which is to celebrate the life and birth of Christ.
These are not really Christmas photos, but I had to put them on here anyway. Leah has learned to fold her arms and is fairly accurate on when she should do so. In this pic it worked out pretty good as she is using her new found skill to help keep her modest.
What a doll! This was taken after our ward Christmas party which was simply phenomenal! The effort and thought that went into this was tops...as it usually is in our ward. (sorry, no pics of this event either!)
The Tuesday before Christmas, we had scheduled to go with Sarah's entire family to temple square to see the lights and let the boys ride the Trax train.
Sarah's cousin, Jenny, had a baby the night before which made it difficult for her family to come (congrats by the way), and the weather outside was frightful, so we decided to go see the lights at Thanksgiving Point, which were delightful.
This was taken with my new Canon power shot. It sucks. I need to read up on it and find out how to more effectively use it. Sarah took a bunch of pictures this holiday season too, but this blog entry only contains the pics I took.
Leah is typically not afraid of animals. Any animal. She was a little apprehensive about the reindeer.
Merry Christmas from Sarah, Marque and Leah
It was f-f-f-f-f-freezing outside and snowy too. Here is Sarah warming up with some hot cocoa.
We were going to get a pic taken with Santa, but the line was not worth it to any of us. Including the kids. Apparently Molly and Sarah took them to see Santa at the mall and three of the four threw a fit.
My little snow angel!
Now bring us some figgy pudding! And bring it right here!

The Reeds minus one
Afterwards, Duane and I got In-N-Out and then cleaned the driveway.
Wednesday until present we spent at a cabin in Ogden Valley, UT. The first night we invited the Gravells, and Holyoaks in addition to Sarah's brother, Josh and the Reeds, her sister's family. We had a fun time and the cabin was beautiful!!! I would suggest this place to anyone. This is Kurt Gravell and his daughter, Sky.
The cabin has a ping pong table, fooseball table, Blackjack table, 70 inch plasma and more. We had a fun time. This is Scott Holyoak playing ping pong.
Taylor and Matthew playing Fooseball with Elijah.
The owner of the cabin was kind enough to put up the Christmas tree and decorate the home. Did I mention it was absolutely beautiful and I would recommend it to anyone?!
Sky played her pet game most of the time. I helped her name her new Flamingo, Chelsea.
I was afraid Kurt wasn't going to show as he has done so many times before. He did come though and we were happy about that. He is a good friend.
Me playing the only number I know on the grand piano, "When The Saints Go Marching In".
Leah loved this place. We had to block of the stairs going up and the stairs going down, but other than that she just walked around the whole time, happy as a clam.
Everybody helped with food. We ate sooooooo much! It was sickening! Thanks to everyone.
This is the view we had from our master bedroom. Beautiful 4700 square foot home with a beautiful setting.
The Gravells and Holyoaks left the following day and Sarah's Mom and step-Dad joined us to celebrate Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. After playing in the snow, Duane had to warm up by the fire.
Molly read to us the story, "'Twas the Night Before Christmas".
Then Grandpa read the story of Christ's birth as found in the Book of Luke, Chapter 2.
Sarah played a gift exchange game with prizes. It was a fun time. Josh got this old timey wax handlebar mustache.
Sarah and Leah Christmas Eve
As is tradition, we were allowed to open one gift Christmas Eve. It is always pajamas. Here is Sarah and Leah in their new PJs.
Mom and Dave, or Grandma and Grandpa, Ostler
The Reeds; Elijah, Cole, Jakey, Molly and Duane.
Joshy
After we knelt as a family in Christmas prayer given by me, the boys put on their pajamas and began writing their letters to Santa.
Leah's letter to Santa was written in her own hand, but I wrote a translation:

Dear Saint Nicholas,

I have been tremendously good this year. My Mother and Father can collaborate this truth. I am so blessed with all I have been given. I hope you will give my gift to a child in need. If you find it in your heart to leave me a present, I will be very happy. I hope Mrs. Claus is keeping you jolly and fat. Please say hello to Blitzen for me. My Dad says she is the coolest reindeer because she sacks the QB!

Love, Leah
The boys left cookies and carrots for Santa and his reindeer
This is cole showing off his antlers and his letter to Santa
Our stockings lay in wait by the fireplace for Santa to fill them with goodies.
The mountain of presents was huge! You couldn't help to wonder if there was too much.
The next morning was fun. We opened presents and stockings and tried not to get lost in the mound of boxes and gift wrapping. Because we were celebrating with Sarah's family, we opened presents their way. It is different than my family's tradition, but that is okay. I did miss it though. In my family we open one gift at a time, so everyone knows and sees what the others got. It allows time for the appropriate "thank you" and a photo or two. There were so many presents that it felt like a whirlwind. We love all our gifts. I am sorry if I don't remember what everybody got me, Sarah or Leah, but I do know this much. We are blessed...nay...spoiled.
Leah got a hat and mittens
Sarah got a warm down comforter
Jake and Duane wrestling
A Christmas Winter Wonderland
Two tired girls after the morning festivities.
I spent a decent amount of time this vacation writing a talk that I have to give this Sunday.
Elijah writing his name in the snow.
THEN WE WENT SHREDDING!
Elijah was quite the brave little man on the sled
Josh about to kill Dave. They had differing opinions on how the track should be built.
Josh attempting to set a New State Record!
Elijah
Cole hitting a drift of snow
Grandpa and Cole right before they biffed it
Josh ~ Sledding track extraordinaire

Sarah did awesome
Cole had a fun time too
Elijah's snowy face after an epic wipeout!
Duane shredding the slopes
Mom, going very slow. To her it probably felt super fast.
It has been a beautiful time so far. It has been good for me. I hope it has been good for Sarah's family. They deserve a good Christmas. There will be more pics to come from me and also from Sarah's camera. I hope each of you had a pleasant and safe Christmas full of memories and fun.

1 comments:

Leslie said...

Fun~~~ I especially loved the pictures of Grandma and Grandpa Ostler. It looks like everyone had lots of fun in the snow, and was blessed....nay spoiled.