I have heard it said that the three most stressful events in a human's life is 1) Divorce, 2) A New Job and 3) Moving. I have to wonder. Why would anyone in their right mind move if they did not have to?! I have said this time and time again. In fact, I have often thought that America's obsession with moving so often is part of the problem we face financially. With that in mind, Sarah and I have always thought we would never move...especially if we did not have to. Mphmphmph mph mphmph mph. What? You could not understand what I was saying? That is because I have my foot in my mouth!
That is right, we are moving. It has been a crazy week, but a fun one. Let me recap the last six years and then the last week. Sarah and I moved to our home in American Fork approximately six years ago. We were shown a few homes by our friend, Curtis Chapple, with this house being one of the few we saw. We recognized that the house was of good quality and had a few extra details that made it feel special. I also, however, hated how small the rooms were and did not like the closed in feeling. The night after seeing this house, we prayed for guidance and immediately felt good about it and felt that this is where we should live. Six years later, I still feel the same way. I truly feel we were guided to this area and we are reminded of the blessings of this daily and weekly. We love our neighborhood and ward, more than we could ever hate our home. Our home could fall to the ground forcing us to live in a tent and we would do just that. We have no intention of leaving this ward and neighborhood. You can always buy a nicer home, but you cannot buy nicer neighbors.
There are a few things we don't like about our home, but had resolved to live with them as the benefits of living in the neighborhood offset the negatives of our home. Don't get me wrong, our home is wonderful and we are quite blessed. For my tastes I would prefer something slightly different. I would point out the negatives, but they are more lack of luxuries or differing tastes more than negatives. Plus, I want someone to buy our house...I don't want them to focus on the negatives thanks to my big mouth. Saturday morning, six days ago, I skateboarded into the cul-de-sac across the street from me to visit with neighbors who were out working in the yard. In the process, I learned that my neighbor, Nick, was going to list his house the following day. Out of curiosity, I discussed the matter with Nick. The lot that Nick's home sits on is larger than ours;a large enough to put in a pool in the future. His house is only slightly larger than ours, but has more of the feel and comforts that we desired. The best part is that it is in our neighborhood and ward! This home would allow us to have our cake and eat it too! So, long story short, I am willingly going to participate, unnecessarily, in the third most stressful event of the human life and will move within a few weeks. Wish me luck!
The next step is selling the home we are currently in. Our home is approximately 2900 square feet with six bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms. It has a kitchen on the main floor with a kitchenette of sorts in the basement. It boasts a living room, family room and theater room with a 102" screen. The house, as mentioned before, has had thoughtful detail all around, from phenomenal tile work throughout, granite countertops, plantation shutters, vaulted ceilings, ceiling fans, decorative brick driveway, custom bathrooms, stained glass windows, comfortable tones, stainless steel appliances, beautifully manicured landscaping with custom pergola, horses and a pasture behind and a three car garage that is above the norm. Again, and I can't say it enough, the greatest selling point is the neighborhood and the ward. We have the greatest neighbors on either side of us. If you could place a price on neighbors, neighborhood and wards, we would be justified in asking one million dollars! As it is, we are starting our asking price at $320K and invite all offers. Please tell your friends and family that you know of the ultimate place to live and send them my way.
I have included a few photos, though most of them are older. This will at least give you an idea.

I love my garage and it shows. On most days, you could eat off of the floor. I treat it like a room in the house.
This is our customer pergola, built by BP Construction. Beautiful work and provides the perfect amount of shade on a hot day. Our view out the backyard is amazing an relaxing. I love sitting in my hammock, playing the ukulele and watching Mt. Timpanogos.
This is the stained glass window we had custom made.

This is the stained glass window as it looks from the outside.

Another shot of my garage

This is a shot of a part of our backyard, our patio, our pergola and the horses in the pasture.

1/3 of the Master Bathroom...we will miss this room. Travertine tile galore!

The Master shower is HUGE!

The landscaping is much more mature now.

The surf wall in the garage

The Car Wall in the Garage

The third car garage

The master bedroom

My office in the basement...notice the detail with the window wells

The Hawaii room or "Scott's Room"

The downstairs bathroom. The mirror is now hanging on the wall.

The pink room or "Mum's Room"

The theater room and kitchenette

102" High Def Happiness

The basement hall...tons of storage
Leah's Room Again
Meadowbrook neighborhood and Orchard Hills Ward....YOU ROCK!
PS - I wonder if we will still get several platters of "Welcome to the Neighborhood" cookies?
9 comments:
It looks like a beautiful house-and a great price! That home here in Oregon would easily be over 5! I forget how much house you can get for your money in Utah! AND good luck with the move-Chad and I have now moved about 6 times since we have been married-3 of them being last year! It suuuuuucks! Hopefully we will be here for awhile!
It is such a beautiful house, and I for one will miss it. Don't you think you will miss the pasture and Mt. Timp the most? Anxious to see the one you are moving to.
You have a beautiful home! I would buy it in a second if I lived there. I can't believe we paid almost that much for our house in Mesa and it is only 1800 square feet and circa 1978 without any updating. Yeah- It's a beauty!
Wow, your house is gorgeous, what could be better than that? The other house must be something special! Wow, and the price is great...that house would be much much much more than that in the good old O.C. Good luck with your move!
Your house is beautiful! Living in only 1100 square feet right now, I can't even imagine all that room. Too bad we're not in the market. And Brad would loooove a garage like that. You can't even imagine the amount of UNC stuff we have.
Can I hire you to do something with our garage? My head is hanging in shame. We are surrounded by beautiful garages and ours is so so neglected. D
Well, we sold our furniture as the other home will only have two living rooms and we have three. We sold our patio furniture and our BBQ so that we can buy new furniture and BBQ that fits that style of home. We have gutted out storage had a yard sale and made a trip to DI. Why? Apparently for nothing. We are not moving. I have mixed emotions, but all in all I am totally fine with it. In today's market, the other home had an appraisal by my lender that was not sufficient to justify the loan. So, we will sit still, happily. I hope my neighbor is able to sell his home quickly and for a price that is to his liking. He has assured me first right of refusal, so that is nice to know we will have that option, but we are moving forward as if we are staying. We have already bought new furniture and are going to price carpet and paint next. After that will be the fence. this experience has been a nice one, though somewhat annoying due to the process. Appraisers have really screwed up the market and their ultra conservative after actions are not making it any better. Dealing with my neighbor was truly pleasant and I believe we each had the other's best interest in mind immediately after our families'.
Bummer! I was going to bring you cookies :-)
What joyful events over the past year! I have laughed and cried reading your blog tonight. Thanks for sharing the marvelous events surrounding Leah's life. I wish that we could have been there to celebrate her adoption, blessing, and sealing. It makes me think about the scripture which says: "Eye hath not seen nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." I'm sure you couldn't have imagined the exquisite blessings which have been poured out upon you! We love you. Ruth and Bill
Post a Comment