Saturday, July 31, 2010

William Penn Is Happy To See The Trospers!


Our hotel was across the street from Philadelphia City Hall, one of the largest all natural stone structures in the world. It was beautiful and took up an entire city block. It was neat to look at and study the architecture and details. Of course, I love architecture of old cities.
"William Penn is happy to see you!" That is what they say along with this statue of William Penn that sits atop the City Hall Tower. While the statue is actually of William Penn holding the treaty he signed with the Native Americans, many think it looks like he is holding something else....I will let you determine that.
The first thing on the agenda after connecting with my Mum, Grandma, Aunt Susan and Aunt Lynette was to eat a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich. We were going to go to Geno's and Pat's but my Mother learned of a place called Mama's Pizza that someone told her was the best. We had already had Jim's last time we visited so, we decided to hit Mama's instead of Geno's or Pat's.
Sarah loved her sandwich and so did I. I think that Mama's has the best Philly Steak Sandwich I have ever had thus far, but I am willing to give other joints a chance! While I think Mama's is the best I have had so far, I believe if a steak sandwich is done right, the margin of difference from the best to the next best and so forth should be minimal. That is just one guy's opinion.
Grandma loved her sandwich with pizza sauce!
Mom, Aunt Susan and Aunt Lynette loved their sandwiches with grilled onions and peppers.
Sarah and I woke up early to visit some of the buildings in the area. This is another shot of the Philadelphia City Hall complex that houses city, state and federal offices.
There are a few Lipschitz statues around town. I just enjoy saying Lipschitz. HAHA!
Sarah and Leah in front of the LOVE statue in the city of brotherly love.

Leah and the Phillies Fanatic!
Penn Station
The view out the front door of our hotel.
Church of England
The nations oldest Masonic Lodge (I think it is the oldest). The sides look just like the Salt Lake City temple. The inside is amazingly ornate and beautiful. They offer tours of the inside, but we didn't have the time. I wish we did.
We ate breakfast at a little diner called The Home Town Diner at the Reading Terminal Market while we waited for the ladies.
The ladies at the Reading Terminal Market
This is a neat place and I wish we had spent more time there. There were many food vendors and markets here as well as several Amish merchants and other regional booths. We did have a homemade Amish pretzel (best ever) and some Amish Shoo Fly Pie.
China Town in Philadelphia looking at the bridge that crosses the Schuylkill (pronounced Skugill) River.
Sarah really wanted to visit Elfreth Alley again. Elfreth Alley is the oldest constantly lived in residential area of the country. It is quaint and shows the different architectural styles of the period including Georgian and Federal.
This is a Georgian style building. The black plates attached to the window sill were the first primitive versions of a peep hole or caller id. There were several of these mirrors strategically placed around the house so that you may view who was at your front door from any floor in the building.
The first American style of architecture known as Federal.
Each home had one of these plaques on it which showed which private fire company was responsible (or had been paid) for the protection of this house.


We went to Brown Betty Bakery to get cupcakes. These cupcakes were ranked #2 as the best desserts in the country by the Travel Channel's "Best Food Ever". We had the "Hattie Don't Play" which was chocolate on chocolate, the "Jean's Road Trip" which was Red Velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and the "Company's Coming" which was Coconut Poundcake with Coconut Frosting and Coconut shavings. They were good and worth the hike in 115 degree weather to get them. Sarah even said today that wanted another one "right now".
Philly was great this time around. Last time we visited, our experience to proved to be filled with one rude person after another. This time proved to be the total opposite. Everyone was friendly and accommodating. After the Trospers were done with Philly, Leah helped us take our stuff downstairs to the car on the luggage cart. Thanks, Leah.

0 comments: