This is my Dad, Buddy Trosper. I know it's late, but...Happy Father's Day, D.O.D!
If you know my Dad, you know he has made some interesting choices lately; decisions I do not agree with. With that said, he is still a good man and my Dad was a great Father. I have fond memories of my Father growing up. I remember building pinewood derby cars, helping him mow the lawn and taking rides on his motorcycle. He coached my sports teams even though he knew nothing of the sport. He taught the principles of Scouting for twelve years and lived them always. He taught me how to swim, how to work hard and live with integrity. He never judged others and rarely ever said a negative word about another. He came from a family history where his Father was less than loving and even possibly abusive, but he broke that cycle and never showed my Mother, my brothers or me anything but love. He taught me to trust God and the priesthood. He was spiritual even when he was not religious. He was always giving of himself, considering the needs of his family before his own. Even now, when he has little, he seeks things to give. Just the other day, he called to offer me his ring or his surfboard.
Of course, I am sure he had his weaknesses as well, but as a child I was not aware of them. He was the perfect Father. As I grew older, I became wiser (or more cynical) and identified that he was not Superman after all and I am very aware of his shortcomings today. With that said, I have always maintained he was the greatest Father a kid could ask for. Happy Father's Day, Dear Old Dad!

4 comments:
I have loved getting to know your dad he's a great man!!!
Marque, you said it well. I agree with it all...he was a great dad and it is amazing he was able to give so much when apparently he didn't have the best example set for him. I think he lived by the golden rule and treated you how he would want to be treated.
He was a good husband as well, and I will never forget that. Some people never receive the love, devotion, and care that I received. Sometimes when you know what you had, it makes it even harder when it's missing.
He called several times yesterday on my way home to see if I was safe and to offer his help should I need it. Still a good person. But, unfortunately, changes have been frustrating to all of us. Probably most of all to himself, but it will never take away the gifts of himself that he gave us.
Sounds like we are doing an obituary....thank goodness he is still here to bless our lives.
I may have been there to raise and teach Mark to strive for the best in life but Mark is a self made man striving to live the most in life and give the most to others. He the most wonderful, loving, caring person to all. God Bless him on this Father's day and I say to him I LOVE YOU MY SON and Happy Fathers Day and sorry I didn't send you a card but I did in my heart.
Marque, Leslie and my beloved Buddy,
How your words touch my heart. I grew up loving "my Buddy" and thinking that he was the most perfect boy in the world. I still think that. As a little girl he was patient, kind and always cool.
So many years passed and the last time I saw Buddy and Les was at mom's funeral. I remember looking up and seeing him standing there and for a moment the haze of the day lifted and I knew things would be ok because my childhood hero was there..
I don't know anything except this, Buddy was a young girl's example of all that a good guy should be and I love him dearly today and always...so cuz' this is my tribute to you...you taught me to look for someone who would love me all out, someone who would be kind, someone who would give me his time and his compassion...you have always been the coolest guy in the room and my safe place. I love you.
Always,
Michele
Post a Comment