I love this time of year, beginning with Thanksgiving, ending with New Year's and Christmas sandwiched in the middle. These are three holidays that compel us to be better human beings; suggesting to us to be grateful, to be kind to each other and to become all that we can be.
Thanksgiving kicks off the season perfectly. I know it is natural for man to focus too much on our trials, short comings and those things we don't have. I have been blessed to have a positive outlook and am most always mindful of my blessings. With that said, even I am capable of the feelings of "Woe is me". Thanksgiving is the perfect reason to switch gears from that frame of mind and into the mind of gratitude. The reality is this, worse things happen to better people than me all the time. In other words, I am pretty blessed. Regardless of how bad things may seem, there are others who are experiencing greater trials and tribulations. I have a loving family, an amazing wife, loyal friends and neighbors. I have a good roof over my head, and all the talents, skills, and abilities necessary to provide enough for my sustaining. Everything else is extra. I am grateful for the extra.
Christmas is more than just a holiDAY, it is a holiMONTH. The season naturally pushes us to be kinder, gentler, and more giving. We should be this way all year; we all know this, but the season is important, because it compels us to do this. Of course the celebration is for the birth of Jesus Christ. Ultimately, he gave himself to us through his example and in his death. Through his resurrection, we all can enjoy the feelings of Christmas now and in the here after. Happy Birthday, Jesus!
The New Year is a great time of evaluation, renewal and improvement. There is something in us that wants to start anew in the beginning of another segment, whether it is a new journal, a new job, a new home, a new week, month or a New Year. This is a time to examine the last year; assessing the improvements, trials, and lessons learned. It is a time to recommit to those areas where we may have slipped or those areas we have seen improvement. And lastly, it is a time to set new goals, ambitions and resolutions. This life is a testing ground with one goal in mind...improve constantly. Become better. New Year's is a perfect occasion to remember and make plans to accomplish this task.
I wish every member of my family, extended family, in-law family, friends, neighbors and co-workers a happy holiday season. I hope every person I know is affected by the season and can count their blessings daily. I want those who don't know the magic of Christmas to experience it and learn from it. I want to be better and do my part to make this world a better place. I believe we can, and this season is the perfect time to commit to that. Merry Christmas!
Thanksgiving kicks off the season perfectly. I know it is natural for man to focus too much on our trials, short comings and those things we don't have. I have been blessed to have a positive outlook and am most always mindful of my blessings. With that said, even I am capable of the feelings of "Woe is me". Thanksgiving is the perfect reason to switch gears from that frame of mind and into the mind of gratitude. The reality is this, worse things happen to better people than me all the time. In other words, I am pretty blessed. Regardless of how bad things may seem, there are others who are experiencing greater trials and tribulations. I have a loving family, an amazing wife, loyal friends and neighbors. I have a good roof over my head, and all the talents, skills, and abilities necessary to provide enough for my sustaining. Everything else is extra. I am grateful for the extra.
Christmas is more than just a holiDAY, it is a holiMONTH. The season naturally pushes us to be kinder, gentler, and more giving. We should be this way all year; we all know this, but the season is important, because it compels us to do this. Of course the celebration is for the birth of Jesus Christ. Ultimately, he gave himself to us through his example and in his death. Through his resurrection, we all can enjoy the feelings of Christmas now and in the here after. Happy Birthday, Jesus!
The New Year is a great time of evaluation, renewal and improvement. There is something in us that wants to start anew in the beginning of another segment, whether it is a new journal, a new job, a new home, a new week, month or a New Year. This is a time to examine the last year; assessing the improvements, trials, and lessons learned. It is a time to recommit to those areas where we may have slipped or those areas we have seen improvement. And lastly, it is a time to set new goals, ambitions and resolutions. This life is a testing ground with one goal in mind...improve constantly. Become better. New Year's is a perfect occasion to remember and make plans to accomplish this task.
I wish every member of my family, extended family, in-law family, friends, neighbors and co-workers a happy holiday season. I hope every person I know is affected by the season and can count their blessings daily. I want those who don't know the magic of Christmas to experience it and learn from it. I want to be better and do my part to make this world a better place. I believe we can, and this season is the perfect time to commit to that. Merry Christmas!
8 comments:
I think I want to print your whole statment out and put it up on my fridge to remember. That is exactly how I feel. Thanks for reminding me. Sometimes I get so busy with the kids that I forget to teach them by example why we celebrate this time of year. Thanks for the reminder.
AGAIN, my wife beats me to the punch. I think that you said an aweful lot of good stuff in your epistle. I only wish that you would have titled it like, "An epistle from Q to the people of ____".
So when are you going to take all of those good feelings and bring your wife out to NC to visit with the black sheep family, I mean your good old buddy Mr. Tim & his family? We have a spot for you (out back) and one for Sarah (we will kick one of the girls out of their room for her to have a nice comfortable bed).
Tim, You should be more kind to me. I know I have been kind to you lately......I recall a certain Saturday when my USC Trojans squashed your UCL-Lame Bruins in baby powder blue! I haven't rubbed it in once!
Thank you guys for your comments on my sappy thoughts. We would love to make it out East sometime. We are currently trying to recover financially from all the traveling and finishing the basement.
We love you guys and think of you often...believe it. Merry Christmas!
ME, be more kind? What did I say that was not kind? All that I said was that I thought you should have included a title. I felt as though I was reading an epistle from someone OLDER than me!!
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know that your stupid team from south central LA beat the wealthy and CLEAN school from Westwood. I can't help it is USC is a bunch of cheaters!! The way that I see it, at least we are going to the Las Vegas bowl and not to the Emerald bowl in SF again! Are you taking any trips to see a bowl game this year (I.E. Vegas - BYU vs UCLA)?
Anyway, I understand about trying to recoup financially. Just know that we have an open door policy for our friends (some family members it is more like a closed door policy). Visit when you can, just let me know when you are coming so that Casey and I can plan our vacation and leave you & Sarah with the girls! Sound like a plan?
Timbo, you are right...I am older than you, but not wiser. You, my friend, have the degree to prove it. Congrats again on that. I am proud!
I think we will be driving down to the Vegas bowl, even though it is kind of a lose/lose proposition for them. If they win, it is no biggie because UCL-Lame is a struggling team with no coach, that they should beat. If they lose, they will really hear it! Anyway, we may go down anyway.
We would actually love to watch the kids, but I wouldn't hold my breath! The odds of us making it to the Carolinas is slim for now. Maybe in the future. We do miss you guys though and haven't even met the youngest BukkerBan!
Nothing but love from us to you and yours!
You always bring a tear to my eye with your touching writing. Just kidding. Great post Q. We hope you and Sarah are having a great holiday season. We hope to see you guys again soon.. Maybe when you bring over our Christmas present.
We tried to stop by yesterday, but you didn't answer your phone! Go ahead, check it! See?! I told you I called, we were driving by your exit when I called, but because you didn't answer, I gave your present to a nice homeless gentleman. He needed it more....it was coal!
I'm so proud to be your Mama!
Post a Comment